Recipe: Jessi's Chili Con Classy
Rich in flavour, with a hit of spice and served in a bread bowl, need we say more?
You won’t miss the meat in Jessi’s Chili Con Classy.
- ½ cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil, divided
- 4 cups mixed mushrooms, sliced (portobello, cremini, oyster, shitake)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 orange pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 14 oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2-3 tbsp chipotle in adobo, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups smoked gouda, grated
- 6-8 buns (the denser the better)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
Add porcini mushrooms to hot water, let soak until softened, set aside. Heat a large pan or dutch oven over high heat. Add 2 tbsp oil and sauté mushrooms in batches until golden brown. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
Turn heat to medium and add another splash of oil. Add peppers, carrot, shallots and garlic. Sauté until browned. Add spices, stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Add red wine to pan and deglaze, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits.
Add cooked mushrooms, chipotle peppers, diced tomatoes, cannellini beans and stock. Remove porcini mushrooms from water and mince. Add liquid and mushrooms to pan. Let simmer for 1 hour. Adjust seasoning as needed.
To serve, slice top off of buns and hollow out. Mix together egg wash ingredients and brush onto top and sides of bun. Spoon chili into bowl, right to the top, sprinkle on grated cheese. Transfer bowls with lids on the side to a baking sheet. Broil for 3-5 minutes on high until cheese is melted. Serve.
Servings: Makes 6-8 servings