How to master gourmet popcorn at home
Shahir's secret to getting movie theatre-quality corn from the comfort of your couch.
A delicious bowl of at-home popcorn is one of chef Shahir's favourite snacks. He's perfected his popping technique over the years and lucky for us, he shared his secrets with us on The Goods. Jessi can attest to its deliciousness — she says it's life altering. The key to the perfect pop? Bake it in the over for five minutes after popping on the stovetop to make it extra crunchy! Here's how to elevate your popcorn game in time for your next movie night.
Here's what you'll need:
- ⅓ cup of popcorn kernels (Makes roughly 12 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- A few pinches of brewer's yeast (also known as nutritional yeast)
- An oven-safe cooking pot large enough for popping corn.
Here's how to do it:
1.Preheat your overn to 375F. Then add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot on the stovetop. Wait for the oil to heat up.
2. Add 3 or 4 kernels and wait for them to pop. Once they've popped, your oil is ready for your kernels. Pour in ⅓ of a cup, a good amount for two people.
3. Once the popcorn has popped on the stovetop, place the popcorn into the oven uncovered in the pot. Cook at 375F degrees for 5 minutes. This gets out the excess moisture in the kernels, making it the crunchy snack you've been craving.
3. Remove popcorn from oven and pour into a snack bowl. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil around the perimeter of the bowl, and then add salt and pepper to taste. The oil will help the salt and pepper stick.
4. Shahir's secret for topping your popcorn is brewers yeast. Add a few pinches for a naturally cheesy — yet dairy-free — flavour.
5. Toss and enjoy!