Recipe: Holiday Fattoush
A satisfying side that won’t keep you glued to the couch all night
When we think of holiday side dishes, our minds tend to drift to all of our carb-laden favourites: mashed potatoes, stuffing, anything cheesy and baked to perfection. And while those dreamy dishes always hold a special place in our hearts, we were feeling something a little different for this year’s celebration. That’s why Shahir whipped up this Middle Eastern-inspired fattoush filled with hearty greens, roasted veggies and yes, of course, a satisfying sprinkle of flatbread and cheese. To make it a meal, use half of the vinaigrette to marinate bone in, skin on, turkey breasts.
- 3 tbsp ground sumac
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp za'atar
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup pomegranate molasses
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large Greek pita breads or any other Middle Eastern flatbread
- 4 cups cherry and grape tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow zucchini
- 1 medium red onion
- 5 cups flat leaf Italian parsley leaves
- 2 cups mint leaves
- 10 scallions
- 2 cups small radishes
- 4 baby romaine or gem lettuce hearts
- 1 cup Mish, Domyati, Arīsh, or any other Egyptian white cheese (halloumi or feta will do too)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sumac, for dusting
- Lemon wedges
For the vinaigrette:
Whisk together all ingredients except olive oil. Once they are all well mixed, gradually add olive oil whisking constantly to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the salad:
Cut or tear your pita into bite sized pieces, thinly slice your zucchini and red onions into half moons and halve your tomatoes. Add to a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss so all pieces are evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway until pita is golden brown and veggies are roasted.
While veggies roast prep your greens and cheese. Pick parsley and mint leaves, discarding stems. Thinly slice scallions and radishes and quarter your lettuce. Crumble or cube your cheese. Set aside in the fridge.
Add roasted vegetables and pita to a large serving bowl or platter and toss with radishes, herbs, green onions, lettuce and cheese. Right before serving, dress with half or less of your vinaigrette — the rest can be used for a marinade. Dust with sumac and serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy!
- If you can’t find pomegranate molasses use equal parts regular molasses and balsamic vinegar
- If you can’t find sumac, use paprika and an extra squeeze of lemon juice
- If you can’t find za’atar, dried oregano will work well
- If you can’t find little gem or baby romaine, use regular romaine and cut into ½ inch ribbons
Servings: Makes 8-10 servings