Recipe: Fried Rice Carbonara
Running out of ideas for your leftover rice? Shahir’s recipe for Fried Rice Carbonara is crispy, creamy and full of flavour. Great for a quick weeknight meal!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ lb pancetta, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups leftover cooked rice
- ¼ cup pecorino or parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- Large handful Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 eggs, whisked
- Extra grated cheese and a sprinkle of chili flakes or thinly sliced chili peppers (for garnish)
Add cubed pancetta to a non stick pan on medium high. Fry until golden brown, remove from pan and set aside. Fry garlic slices and remove to plate with pancetta. Add olive oil. Turn heat to high and add rice in a layer across the whole pan. Do not stir, allow crispy layer to form and then stir.
Continue method until rice is crispy and lightly browned all over. Return pancetta and garlic to pan. Add parsley, green onion, grated cheese and season with salt and pepper, stir.
Remove from heat and add in whisked eggs. Stir so egg creates a creamy sauce. Serve. Add sprinkle of chili flakes and extra grated cheese if desired.