Doggie DIY's: Simple accessories for your four legged friend
These doggie DIY's are easy and inexpensive. First up is a tug-of-war toy using your upcycled T-shirts. Pets love your scent and that's why your old T-shirts are perfect for this project. You can also buy T-shirt material from the fabric store.
Tug-of-war T-shirt toy
What you'll need:
- 2 T-shirts
1. Cut 2" wide slits at the base of each shirt.
2. Tear along each slit until the end of the fabric.
3. Gather strips and knot off at one end. Braid the strips
4. Knot at opposite end once braided, then trim any uneven pieces and you're done!
Ombre dog leash
What you'll need:
- Cotton rope
- Cotton cord
- Fabric dye
- Lobster hook
- Clamps x2
- E6000 glue
- Large plastic bucket & paint stir stick
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cup – 1 cup
1. Cut three lengths of cotton rope to desired length.
2. Tie a knot on one end of the 3 strands of rope. Braid rope.
3. On the unknotted end, make a large loop on one end for handle.
4. Attach clamp to rope with hammer over top of the loose end and trim any excess.
5. Wrap cord around clamp to cover it and then glue it down.
6. Soak leash in water. This will help absorb the dye.
7. Mix dye according to manufacturer's instructions.
8. Place all of the leash in dye bath for a few seconds, except for the top 12" near the handle you've made.
9. Pull out 12" of leash and hang over the side of the bucket.
10. Then let it sit for a few more minutes and then pull out another 12".
11. Continue to do this until the entire leash is out of the dye bath. The longer you leave the leash in the dye bath, the more intense the colour will be.
12. Hang or lay flat to dry on a surface that won't be damaged by dye.
13. Once dry, undo knot, thread lobster hook through, loop back around and attach 2nd clamp. Then, tightly wrap and glue the cord around the metal clamp to cover it.