Make your own perfect crystal-studded ombre tassel earrings
You've seen them around but the best pair is the one you customize for yourself!
Tassels! Ombres! And crystals, oh my! This ombre tassel earring DIY is the perfect way to pass an afternoon in the park with friends now that the sunny weather is here. These statement earrings can dress up a simple jean and white tee look, or accent a beautiful summer dress.
Here's what you'll need:
- 3 colours of embroidery thread in a ombre colour palette (1 metre of each)
- Gold thread (about 7 metres)
- 2 quartz crystal beads with holes for sewing
- 2 gold earring hooks
- Rubbing alcohol (to clean earring hooks)
Here's how to do it:
1. Time to make our tassels! We'll be making 2 tassels in each colour for our set of earrings. First, select a colour of embroidery thread and start wrapping it around your pointer and middle finger. Wrap around 30 times and then trim the thread.
2. Now cut a 2.5 inch piece of thread in the same colour and tie it through the hoops with a knot to attach the loops together.
3. Time to add the gold thread. Hold your tassel at the end that has been tied. Take the gold thread and hold it with your fingers just below the knot, about 1/4 inch. Secure the gold thread around the tassel with a knot. Now wrap the thread around and around about 30 times, secure with a triple knot.
4. Take your scissors and cut the ends of the loops off of the bottom of your tassel. Trim evenly. Now trim the ends of your top knot off. Viola you have yourself a beautiful little tassel.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 to create 2 tassels in each colour.
6. Now cut approximately 2 feet of gold thread and thread through your needle. Take the ends of the thread and tie a knot; now your thread is doubled up for extra strength. Begin with the tassel you'd like at the bottom of your earring. I chose to have my earrings go from light to dark, so I began with my darkest tassel. Thread needle through the top of your tassel and make a double knot.
7. Next, take your middle tone tassel and spread out the tassels, thread your needle through the bottom and out of the top of your tassel. Pull down your tassel and tuck it over the darker coloured one spreading the tassels over it.
8. Repeat with the lightest one. Don't cut the thread yet.
9. Now that all of our tassels are connected, it's time to attached our gold earring hooks. With the same thread we used to attached our tassels together, sew an earring hook to the top of the top tassel. Thread around until secure and tie of with a triple knot.
10. Repeat steps 6 through 9 to create the second earring.
11. I wanted to add a little something extra to these earrings with a quartz crystal bead. Attach a bead to the top tassel by sewing securely in place. Wrap your gold thread around the tassel a few more times to create a clean look. Secure with a triple knot.
12. Clean earring hooks with some rubbing alcohol and pop them into those beautiful ears of yours. Time to show off your crafty work!