Sew Boss: Add saucy shoulder cut-outs to your shirts and blouses with help from withwendy
Hack the cold shoulder trend in just a few stitches!
With the cold shoulder trend as hot as ever (and seen on just about everyone) this summer, there's no denying that exposed shoulders are a chic and cheeky way to show off just the right amount of skin. But if you're skeptical about shopping the style, why not test the waters by creating some sleek shoulder cut-outs on of one of your old button-downs or blouses? This easy tutorial from DIY maven withwendy will show you how to do it in just a few stitches, leaving you with a stylish staple that's equal parts saucy and sophisticated!
Here's what you need:
- Blouse with sleeves
- Sewing machine
- Fabric pins
- Fabric clips
- Fabric scissors
- Thread that matches blouse that you're using
Here's how to do it:
1. The blouse we're using has ruffled sleeves, which we want to keep, so we're going to cut across just above the ruffle. Pin the areas of the blouse that you want to keep in tact, and pin the underarm part together to when you cut, everything is even. Cut a triangle on the shoulder area, and stop cutting before you get to the other edge.
2. Remove the pins and clips, and continue cutting along the sleeve seam. Continue in a loop until you meet the other side of the sleeve.
3. Fold the raw edge over and sew a straight stitch along to hem it with your sewing machine, and cut the thread . Fold over once more and sew a second stitch – this will fully hide any of the raw edge and gives it that professional quality. Try to avoid tugging as you sew – it could change the shape of the fabric.
4. Repeat on the other sleeve and you're done!
Who doesn't love a good outfit reveal when they shrug off their outerwear? Let those saucy shoulders shine!