Make your own brilliant bangles just in time for next week's Holi celebration
The Hindu festival of colours calls for brightly-hued bracelets to match
This year's Hindu festival of Holi — a lively celebration that marks the end of winter and involves dousing one another in colourful waters and powders to symbolize the love story of gods Krishna and Radha — is fast approaching. Here's how to create your own brightly-hued bangles just in time for next week's vibrant occasion.
Here's what you need:
- Scrap paper to cover the surface you're working on
- Bangles of your choice
- Spray paint, in bright colours of your choice
- Flat, round gold beads with loops (can be found at most craft supply stores)
- Glitter, in bright colours of your choice
- Decoupage glue
- Paint brush
- Small metal rings (can be found at most craft supply stores)
- Assorted small jewels, in bright colours of your choice
- Beeswax (or 2 tbsp of petroleum jelly)
- Cotton swabs
- Chains, in colour and style of your choice
Here's how to do it:
- Cover the surface you'll be working on with scrap paper.
- Lay your bangles out on the scrap paper and spray paint them evenly, one by one, in colours of your choice. Let dry.
- Now it's time to decorate! Grab your gold beads, glitter, decoupage glue and paint brush. Carefully apply decoupage glue to the underside of your beads. Sprinkle a heavy amount of glitter onto the glue-covered sides. Carefully lift beads out of the glitter pile using pliers and set aside to dry. Once glitter has set and dried, use pliers to open up the small metal rings, feed them through the loop on your beads, then attach the ring to your bangle, closing it tightly with the pliers.
- Grab another bangle, assorted jewels, a cotton swab covered in beeswax (or petroleum jelly), and superglue. One by one, place small dots of superglue on the bracelet, pick up a jewel using the beeswax-covered swab and stick the jewel on. Working around the bracelet, repeat the process with as many jewels as you like, until your bangle is covered. Let dry.
- Take your chain, two metal rings and two of your bangles. Use pliers to open a metal ring, feed it through the loop on the end of your chain, attach the ring to one bangle and close it tightly with the pliers. Repeat the process, attaching the other side of your chain to the second bangle.
- Sparkle and shine with your own bangles — perfect for Holi!
Creator: Sharadha Ramjit, Sweet Shard