How to nail the elusive messy bun hairstyle once and for all
It's having a moment — again — so here's how to finally get it right
A few weeks ago, soon-to-be-Duchess Meghan Markle made headlines worldwide by breaking royal protocol and wearing her hair in — gasp! — a messy bun, while attending her first official outing with fiancé Prince Harry. Clearly a favourite of the former Suits star (she's already rocked the look a second time this year), the messy bun hairstyle has long been a go-to for those of us who may not have the time, or the desire, to straighten, curl or even tame our locks on a given morning. However, as versatile and seemingly effortless as the style is, it can be quite elusive. Finding the balance between messy-chic and downright downshevled is no joke — and getting that ponytail twist down on the first try isn't either. So, we're breaking it all down with a tutorial that'll help you nail this princess-worthy hairdo in just six simple steps. Royal fiancé not included (sorry).
Here's how to do it:
- Pull the hair into a high ponytail.
- Carefully twist the ponytail around your finger until the start of your bun begins to form.
- Wrap the rest of your hair around the base until it is all twisted into the shape of a bun.
- Secure your bun with an elastic.
- Use bobby pins to fend off any flyaways and give your bun some extra security.
- Pull out and loosen strands near the front of your face to get that "messy" look.