DIY indoor vertical garden
Take your succulent and potted plant obsession to a whole new level with a living wall! Ideal for urbanites, apartment-dwellers or anyone looking to infuse some life into their space, this rustic vertical garden is heavy on greenery, yet won't take up a ton of space in your home. Don't have a green thumb? Don't fret. Follow these easy steps and you'll be breathing in all that fresh, plant-produced oxygen in no time.
Here's what you'll need:
- Plants — hanging plants and ferns are great as they will grow to cover the pallet.
- Landscaping fabric
- Plastic sheeting
- Paint (optional)
- Staple gun
- Gardening spade
- Gardening gloves
Here's how to do it:
- Paint pallet if needed, some pallets can be left natural or stained.
- Remove every second slat, this is where your plants will go.
- Paint any spaces if needed.
- Flip pallet over to back and lay down plastic sheeting.
- Staple plastic sheeting to back of pallet, this is to protect the wall from any moisture or liquid. Apply as many staples as needed to make the sheeting tight and waterproof.
- Cover with landscaping fabric for aesthetic reasons.
- Flip pallet back over to start creating your planting pockets.
- Cut a piece of landscaping fabric big enough to comfortably sit inside the first pallet space, and with enough excess to staple to pallet.
- Use the fabric piece as a guide to cut additional squares for all pallet spaces.
- Lay fabric square into first pallet space, and push down to create a pocket. Make sure the fabric is not too low so it is visible beneath the slat.
- Staple the fabric to the front, sides and back of the pallet. Make sure to use enough staples so the fabric will hold the soil and plants in place.
- Trim excess fabric on pocket.
- Continue until all spaces have a fabric pocket.
- Staple fabric from the back around the sides of the pallet to keep water tight.
- Move pallet to vertical position to start planting.
- Add soil to each pocket.
- Plant 2-3 small plants in each pocket.
- Spray with water.
- Position in sunny spot.