Recipe: Salt and Pepper Shrimp
This simple Chinese-style fried shrimp dish makes a delicious party appetizer. Definitely make a double batch for a hungry crowd!
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 ½ tsp finely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp 5-spice powder
- ¼ tsp hot pepper flakes
- Pinch sugar
- 1 lb jumbo tiger shrimp, peeled, deveined with tail on
- ½ cup canola oil, for frying
- Flaked sea salt, to taste
- 1 fresh red finger chile, thinly sliced (optional)
- Cilantro leaves, for garnishing (optional)
In a large bowl, stir together cornstarch, 2 tsp black pepper, kosher salt, 5-spice powder, hot pepper flakes and sugar. Pat shrimp dry with paper towel. Toss in cornstarch mixture until well coated.
Heat oil in wok or large skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp in 2 batches, until they start to curl, turn pink and are cooked through, about 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and remaining pepper.
Garnish with chiles and cilantro if using.
Serve with a squeeze of lime or lemon if desired.
Serve as a dinner main over salad, steamed rice or stir-fried noodles.
Servings: Makes 4 servings