Recipe: Vegetarian Sushi Rice Bowls
This budget-friendly rice bowl has all the fresh flavours of a vegetarian sushi roll, and can be easily mastered at home.
Vegetarian Sushi Rice Bowls
By Josie Malevich
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced or cut into matchsticks 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 cups shelled edamame, cooked according to package directions
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup pickled ginger
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sprouts
- 4 tsp toasted white and black sesame seeds
- Soy sauce, to taste, for serving
- Wasabi paste, to taste, for serving
- Nori sheets or seaweed snacks, for serving (optional)
Soak rice in cold water for 10 minutes. Transfer to fine meshed sieve and rinse under cold running water, until water runs clear. Let drain for 10 minutes. Bring water to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until rice absorbs all the liquid. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, for at least 5 and up to 15 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Meanwhile, toss carrots, cucumbers, radishes in vinegar, salt and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Divide rice among 4 bowls. Arrange quick pickled vegetables, edamame, avocado, pickled ginger, red pepper and sprouts over top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with soy sauce, wasabi and nori sheets if using.
Also delicious with a little grilled or sautéed tofu or for non-vegetarian options, top with seared tuna, poached chicken or grilled shrimp.