Mast-o Khiar — A cooling, crunchy treat you can feel good about dipping into
For iftar, tuck in with bread or crackers… or indulge with chips!
Creamy and delicately crunchy, crowned with swirls of olive oil, dip your bread or crackers into this to break your Ramadan fast at the end of a long day. In our home, we like to enjoy this mast-o khiar scooped up with salty potato chips.
Make ahead: You can grate the cucumber a day in advance and store in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup grated English cucumber, unpeeled
- 3 cups full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp dried mint, plus extra for garnish
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp crushed dried rose petals
- 1 tsp finely chopped shelled pistachios
- 4 mint leaves, julienned
- 4 mint leaves, left whole, for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Flatbread (lavash, focaccia, or pita), for serving
Add the cucumber, yogurt, garlic, walnuts, mint and salt to a medium bowl and stir well to combine. Preferably, chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Transfer the mixture to a small serving bowl. Before serving, sprinkle different sections of the surface with dried mint, dried rose petals and pistachios. Garnish with the julienned and whole mint leaves. Drizzle with your favourite extra virgin olive oil. Serve with flatbread for dipping.
Yield: Makes 4-6 servings