10 Unusual laws from around the world
Photo by Blogtrepreneur licensed CC BY 2.0
There are lots of rules and laws that we have to follow. But some places around the world have laws that are so strange, it’s hard to believe they’re real or even necessary. Don’t take our word for it—check them out!
1. In Milan, Italy, it is illegal for citizens to frown in public—unless they’re at a funeral or visiting someone in the hospital.
2. It’s illegal to chew gum in Singapore. In fact, no gum is bought or sold here. The law is said to be in place to keep public spaces clean.
Photo by Joe Ruiz licensed CC BY-SA
3. In Mexico, it is illegal for bicyclists to lift their feet off the pedals while riding as this might cause them to lose control of the bike.
4. In Switzerland, it’s against the law to flush a toilet after 10 p.m. in an apartment building.
Photo by Daniel Oines licensed CC BY 2.0
5. Why did the chicken cross the road? Who knows? But it better think twice about doing that in Georgia. There, it’s illegal for a chicken to cross the road!
Photo by Karen licensed CC BY-NC-ND 2.0
6. In other chicken news, there is a law in New Zealand that states you cannot fly with a rooster in a hot air balloon.
7. In Baltimore, Maryland, it’s illegal to bring a lion to the movies. And we’re not lyin’!
Photo by Michael Saechang licensed CC BY-SA 2.0
8. It’s illegal to drive a dirty car in Russia.
9. According to a law in Scotland, you must allow someone into your house if he knocks on your door and needs to use the bathroom.
10. In Oshawa, Ontario, it is against the law to climb a tree.
Photo by danna § curious tangles licensed CC BY-NC-ND 2.0