The Student Voice on Cuts to Staff at TRU

Arts_Building20671.jpg
(Faculty of Arts at tru.ca.)

The impact of cutbacks to sessional staff at Thompson Rivers University continues to simmer on campus.

The Faculty of Arts will not be renewing the contracts of about half of its short-term professors.

Administration says the cuts are directly related to a decline in enrolment within the arts.

The TRU Faculty Association and several professors say the cause runs deeper.

Daybreak has heard claims that the university is top-heavy, loaded with administrative positions and that full-time faculty positions are being filled with contract staff as a cost-savings measure.

Adding their voice to the story are two undergraduate students from the Faculty of Arts. 

Braydon Wilson is a philosophy student and Casey Helgason studies Political Science and Economics.

Download Flash Player to view this content.
Previous Post
Next Post

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Submission Policy

Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever. Please note that comments are moderated and published according to our submission guidelines.

Latest BC News

302 Found

Found

The document has moved here.