ABOUT CBC FILMS
CBC is committed to being the public space for critically acclaimed Canadian films. CBC Films’ mandate is to support creative excellence and cultural relevance, prioritizing films by women, Indigenous, LGBTQ+ and diverse filmmakers. We selectively invest in high-quality productions in a variety of genres. We are looking for contemporary stories that reflect, represent and reframe the Canadian experience.
Our initiatives aim to support the production of valuable Canadian films, as well as:
- To build talent and push the medium of filmmaking forward
- To broaden audiences for Canadian cinema
- To encourage meaningful and contemporary stories that represent Canada
On screen representation
Key creative team, writer/director, producer
The director must have at least one of the following:
- At least one feature-length narrative film showcased at a recognized national and/or international film festival (list of festivals can be found on our Frequently Asked Questions page)
- At least three directing credits on one-hour scripted episodic series
- At least one feature-length documentary showcased at a recognized national and/or international film festival
- At least one short film showcased at a recognized A-list international film festival
Qualifying for Funding
To qualify for production funding from CBC Films, a project must obtain at least 8 out of 10 points on the CAVCO scale. CBC Films will also support international treaty co-productions where the Canadian co-producer is the majority partner. On international treaty co-productions, the director or the lead writer must be Canadian.
CBC Films will provide a licence fee for selected projects for a rights package that will be negotiated on case-by-case basis.
To submit your film for consideration you should have the following:
- CBC’s licence fees will not exceed 10% of the production budget (to a maximum of $300,000)
- CBC’s rights must include the right to broadcast the film on the main CBC network and to exhibit the film on CBC’s digital platforms including CBC Gem which is available on a free, ad-supported and/or subscription basis
- CBC expects to receive prominent branding in promotion and on-screen credits, including in the opening title sequence.
Inquiries regarding consideration for funding should be sent to email@example.com
- Feature length final draft script
- One sentence logline
- One page synopsis
- Pitch deck/look-book
- Marketing plan
- Draft production budget and, if available, corresponding financing plan