Ready for your break? Announcing CBC Comedy's NEXT UP
CBC Comedy's Next Up is a national search for Canada's brightest new emerging comedic talent which will give the winner the opportunity to perform a set at the 2019 Ha!ifax ComedyFest.
Next Up wants to help you get your foot in the door — we are not seeking out headlining professionals or established comics. No matter where you're from in Canada, Next Up is open to any amateur comedian from coast to coast to coast.
Submit your video
To enter, simply prepare a 60-90 second video of your funniest material, upload it to Youtube and submit it at cbc.ca/nextup starting on February 4, 2019. Submissions close at 11:59pm ET on February 21, 2019.
The top submissions will form a longlist of finalists and will be revealed on March 1, 2019.
If you make the longlist, the public will have a chance to vote on your video at cbc.ca/nextup. You'll also get the chance to compete in social media challenges that will put your comedic chops to the test.
On March 20, 2019, CBC Comedy will reveal the top 10 comics from the longlist, who will be chosen between a combination of votes, results from social media challenges and overall comedic quality.
A jury of comedy industry professionals will then select the winner from the top 10, which will be revealed on March 29, 2019.
Finally, that winner will then be flown out to Halifax to perform at the Ha!ifax ComedyFest in April.
How to enter:
- Record a 60-90 second video of your comedic performance. This can be a video of you doing amateur stand-up at a comedy club, or delivering directly into camera like a vlog-style video. Videos MUST be 60-90 seconds in duration. All content must be original material.
- Upload your video to YouTube. Include #CBCNextUp in the Youtube video title.
- Complete the submission form on the Next Up page.
- Copy and paste your Youtube video link into the submission form.
- Submissions are open from February 4, 2019 - February 21, 2019
- Include a valid email where you can be contacted if you make the longlist.
CBC Comedy will contact you if you make the longlist at the email you provided in your submission.
Important dates to remember:
Monday, Feb. 4: Submissions open — submit your 60-90 second Youtube video to the Next Up submission page.
Thursday, Feb. 21: Submissions close at 11:59pm ET.
Friday, March 1: The long list of finalists are open for audience voting on the Next Up page.
Monday, March 4: Social challenges for the long list begins.
Wednesday, March 20: CBC Comedy announces the top 10
Friday, March 29: Judges select winner. Winner is announced on the Next Up page.