What's it all about?
It’s kind of like you’re hurling mighty fireballs at your opponent to try to knock them out of the match — only the fireball is a volleyball and you’re sitting the whole time! Sound cool? Then you should check out sitting volleyball!
How it's played
The teams: Two teams of six players battle it out on the court but only one men’s team and one women’s team will win gold!
The match: Matches are made up of five sets that are over when one team reaches 25 points. If a fifth set is needed, that one only goes to 15 points.
The equipment: Team uniforms include shoes, shorts and short-sleeved shirts. Knee pads are used for extra protection. Also a standard volleyball, smaller court and net.
The play: Players can only touch the ball three times before it must be sent over the net (not including a block). Athletes will volley, set and spike to try and make the ball hit the floor on the other team’s side of the court, all while on the floor!
The points: If a team lets the ball hit the floor or go out of bounds, the other team gets the point. The team who wins the most sets out of five wins! Sets must be won by a clear two points (a set score cannot be 24-25, it must be 24-26 or 25-27, for example).
The athletes: Players need to react quickly in this intense, fast-paced game. Speed, strength and stamina are key!
Did you know: Even though players are sitting, they still have to wear non-marking, lightweight indoor sports shoes with a rubber sole and no heel.
Things to watch for
- A powerful serve is a great way for a team to attack their opponents at the beginning of a play.
- Great servers know how to hit the ball with enough power and control to avoid the blockers on the other team and score more points!
- An offensive power move where a player hits the ball really hard and fast, over the net, towards the floor of the opposite team.
- If done very well, it’s really hard for the other team to keep the ball in play!
- A player who is a defensive specialist on the team, can only play defense and only from the back half of the court.
- They have good passing ability, digging ability, ball-handling skills, quickness and consistency.
- They will have a different coloured shirt than the rest of the team.