What's it all about?
A few nearby construction workers need help lifting up a boulder, when they suddenly realize they have nothing to lift it with! What will they do? No worries, your superhuman powers can lift it up. Sounds cool? Then you need to check out para powerlifting!
How it's played
Things to watch for
- How to spot a successful lift: the athlete takes the bar off the rack (assisted or not) and holds it straight up until the referee calls “start.” They then lower it to their chest, pause, then press it up evenly to arms' length until the referee calls “rack.”
- After their three tries, athletes might choose to do a fourth power lift for an attempt to break the world record.
- This attempt doesn’t count towards their score but it’s always an exciting moment!
- The people who stand beside the athlete while they lift.
- The spotter’s job is to make sure the athlete is safe in case they drop the barbell with heavy weights on it.
- They will also help guide the barbell back to the rack when the lift is finished with the help of a power-assisted mechanised suit.