When We Are Kind
Monique Gray Smith, illustrated by Nicole Neidhardt
What makes you feel kind?
When We Are Kind celebrates simple acts of everyday kindness and encourages children to explore how they feel when they initiate and receive acts of kindness in their lives.
Author Monique Gray Smith has written many books on the topics of resilience and reconciliation and communicates an important message through carefully chosen words for readers of all ages. Beautifully illustrated by artist Nicole Neidhardt, this book encourages children to be kind to others and to themselves. (From Orca Books)
Monique Gray Smith is a mixed-heritage — Cree, Lakota and Scottish — author who often writes and speaks about the resilience of Indigenous communities in Canada. She is also the author of the children's books Speaking Our Truth and You Hold Me Up and the novels Tilly and Tilly and the Crazy Eights.
Nicole Neidhardt is a Diné visual artist and illustrator. When We Are Kind is her first children's book.
- 11 Canadian children's books to read on Pink Shirt Day
- 52 Canadian picture books coming out in fall 2020
- Why Monique Gray Smith almost stopped writing Speaking Our Truth
- The best Canadian picture books of 2020
- B.C. author celebrates simple acts of everyday kindness in new children's book
- Monique Gray Smith shares how children's books help young Canadians learn more about residential schools
- Here are the 2022 Blue Spruce Award finalists