Tilly and the Crazy Eights
Monique Gray Smith
- 108 Indigenous writers to read, as recommended by you
- 10 Canadian books coming out in October we can't wait to read
- The CBC Books winter reading list: 15 Canadian books to read this season
When Tilly receives an invitation to help drive eight elders on their ultimate bucket list road trip to Albuquerque for the Gathering of Nations Pow Wow, she impulsively says yes. Before she knows it, Tilly has said goodbye to her family and is behind the wheel — ready to embark on an adventure that will transform her in ways she could not predict. Just as it will for each and every one of the elders on the trip, who soon dub themselves "the Crazy Eights." Tilly and the Crazy Eights each choose a stop to make along the way — somewhere they've always wanted to go or something they've wanted to experience. Their plan is to travel to Las Vegas, Sedona and the Redwood Forests, with each destination the inspiration for secrets and stories to be revealed. The trip proves to be powerful medicine as they laugh, heal, argue and reveal hopes and dreams along the way. With friendships forged, love found, hearts broken and mended, Tilly and the Crazy Eights feel ready for anything by the time their bus rolls to a stop in New Mexico. But are they? (From Second Story Press)
- Monique Gray Smith wants everyone to read 'a variety of lived experiences and perspectives'
- 24 works of Canadian fiction to watch for this fall