The Clothesline Swing
Ahmad Danny Ramadan
- The Clothesline Swing is on the Canada Reads 2018 longlist
- 12 great Canadian debut novels you should check out
- 15 books to get your mother on Mother's Day
The Clothesline Swing is a journey through the troublesome aftermath of the Arab Spring. A former Syrian refugee himself, Ramadan unveils an enthralling tale of courage that weaves through the mountains of Syria, the valleys of Lebanon, the encircling seas of Turkey, the heat of Egypt and finally, the hope of a new home in Canada.
- How Ahmad Danny Ramadan's experience as a Syrian refugee influenced his debut novel
- What keeps Ahmad Danny Ramadan going?
Inspired by One Thousand and One Nights, The Clothesline Swing tells the epic story of two lovers anchored to the memory of a dying Syria. One is a Hakawati, a storyteller, keeping life in forward motion by relaying remembered fables to his dying partner. Each night he weaves stories of his childhood in Damascus, of the cruelty he has endured for his sexuality, of leaving home, of war, of his fated meeting with his lover. Meanwhile Death himself, in his dark cloak, shares the house with the two men, eavesdropping on their secrets as he awaits their final undoing. (From Nightwood Editions)
- 3 things that inspired Ahmad Danny Ramadan's debut novel The Clothesline Swing
- How Ahmad Danny Ramadan honoured his Syrian home with his debut novel
The sweetest kisses are the ones we share in forbidden places. The kiss I stole from you in the back of a dark cab roaming Damascus, while the driver was cursing at checkpoints and wars; the time I pulled you back into the changing room in H&M in Beirut and printed my lips upon yours; the one you gave me as we hid in the depth of tall grass on Vancouver's Wreck Beach.
From The Clothesline Swing by Ahmad Danny Ramadan ©2017. Published by Nightwood Editions.