The bestselling Canadian books for the week of May 9-15, 2021
Here are the bestselling Canadian books for May 9-15, 2021.
Bestseller lists are compiled by Bookmanager using weekly sales stats from over 260 Canadian independent stores.
Jonny Appleseed, championed by actor Devery Jacobs, won Canada Reads 2021. It is the first book by an Indigenous author to accomplish the feat. The debut novel by Whitehead is a coming-of-age story about a two-spirit person named Jonny trying to put his life back together following the death of his stepfather.
The book was previously on the longlist for the 2018 Scotiabank Giller Prize, and was shortlisted for the Governor General's Literary Award for fiction and the Amazon Canada First Novel Award. It also won the Lambda Literary Award for gay fiction.
See the full Canadian fiction list below.
- Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead
- Butter Honey Pig Bread by Francesca Ekwuyasi
- A Lethal Lesson by Iona Whishaw
- Return of the Trickster by Eden Robinson
- Find You First by Linwood Barclay
- How to Pronounce Knife by Souvankham Thammavongsa
- Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson
- Lost Immunity by Daniel Kalla
- The Push by Ashley Audrain
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simard is the #1 Canadian nonfiction book this week.
If you've ever walked through the forest and heard the whispering of the trees, it's easy to imagine that there's conversation happening — that there's a kind of intelligence in the community of the forest. Simard, who is a biologist, discovered the reality of the interconnection and intelligence of the forest. She's been able to find out that the trees are indeed whispering to each other — communicating not through the wind, but through the soil. Her new scientific memoir, Finding the Mother Tree: Discovering the Wisdom of the Forest, describes her life and research.
See the full Canadian nonfiction list below.
- Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simard
- The Bomber Mafia by Malcolm Gladwell
- Yearbook by Seth Rogen
- Values by Mark Carney
- 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act by Bob Joseph
- From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle
- Goodbye, Again by Jonny Sun
- Not on My Watch by Alexandra Morton
- Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe by Dr. Bonnie Henry & Lynn Henry
- The Bookseller of Florence by Ross King
The Rock from the Sky by Jon Klassen is the #1 Canadian kids book this week.
See the full Canadian kids book list below.
- The Rock from the Sky by Jon Klassen
- Thrive by Kenneth Oppel
- The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
- I Sang You Down from the Stars by Tasha Spillett-Sumner, illustrated by Michaela Goade
- On the Trapline by David A. Robertson, illustrated by Julie Flett
- The Barren Grounds by David A. Robertson
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch, illustrated by Sheila McGraw
- The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko
- Road Allowance Era by Katherena Vermette, illustrated by Scott B. Henderson
- Bloom by Kenneth Oppel