The bestselling Canadian books for the week of May 2-8, 2021
Here are the bestselling Canadian books for May 2-8, 2021.
Bestseller lists are compiled by Bookmanager using weekly sales stats from over 260 Canadian independent stores.
Jonny Appleseed, championed by actor Devery Jacobs, won Canada Reads 2021. It is the first book by an Indigenous author to accomplish the feat. The debut novel by Whitehead is a coming-of-age story about a two-spirit person named Jonny trying to put his life back together following the death of his stepfather.
The book was previously on the longlist for the 2018 Scotiabank Giller Prize, and was shortlisted for the Governor General's Literary Award for fiction and the Amazon Canada First Novel Award. It also won the Lambda Literary Award for gay fiction.
See the full Canadian fiction list below.
- Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead
- A Lethal Lesson by Iona Whishaw
- Butter Honey Pig Bread by Francesca Ekwuyasi
- Return of the Trickster by Eden Robinson
- Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson
- Lost Immunity by Daniel Kalla
- How to Pronounce Knife by Souvankham Thammavongsa
- Find You First by Linwood Barclay
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
- A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson
The Bomber Mafia by Malcolm Gladwell is the #1 Canadian nonfiction book this week.
The Bomber Mafia is an exploration of the relationship between technology and ideology and how they come together during times of war. Malcolm Gladwell uses a range of anecdotes and stories to examine how societal structures shape human behaviour, decision-making and the spread of ideas. The Bomber Mafia looks at the deadliest night during the Second World War, and how it was caused by the collision of different approaches and beliefs about air bombing. The book builds on themes that Gladwell explored in a 2020 episode of his podcast, Revisionist History.
See the full Canadian nonfiction list below.
- The Bomber Mafia by Malcolm Gladwell
- Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simard
- Values by Mark Carney
- Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe by Dr. Bonnie Henry & Lynn Henry
- 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act by Bob Joseph
- The Bedside Book of Birds by Graeme Gibson
- From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle
- Not on My Watch by Alexandra Morton
- Embers by Richard Wagamese
- The Bookseller of Florence by Ross King
The Rock from the Sky by Jon Klassen is the #1 Canadian kids book this week.
See the full Canadian kids book list below.
- The Rock from the Sky by Jon Klassen
- The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
- I Sang You Down from the Stars by Tasha Spillett-Sumner, illustrated by Michaela Goade
- Thrive by Kenneth Oppel
- The Barren Grounds by David A. Robertson
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch, illustrated by Sheila McGraw
- How to Change Everything by Naomi Klein, with Rebecca Stefoff
- Bloom by Kenneth Oppel
- Little You by Richard Van Camp, illustrated by Julie Flett
- Carson Crosses Canada by Linda Bailey, illustrated by Kass Reich