The bestselling Canadian books for the week of April 11-17, 2021
Here are the bestselling Canadian books for April 11-17, 2021.
Bestseller lists are compiled by Bookmanager using weekly sales stats from over 260 Canadian independent stores.
Jonny Appleseed, championed by actor Devery Jacobs, won Canada Reads 2021. It is the first book by an Indigenous author to accomplish the feat. The debut novel by Whitehead is a coming-of-age story about a two-spirit person named Jonny trying to put his life back together following the death of his stepfather.
The book was previously on the longlist for the 2018 Scotiabank Giller Prize, and was shortlisted for the Governor General's Literary Award for fiction and the Amazon Canada First Novel Award. It also won the Lambda Literary Award for gay fiction.
See the full Canadian fiction list below.
- Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead
- Return of the Trickster by Eden Robinson
- Butter Honey Pig Bread by Francesca Ekwuyasi
- A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson
- The Push by Ashley Audrain
- How to Pronounce Knife by Souvankham Thammavongsa
- Hench by Natalie Zina Walschots
- Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson
- The Midnight Bargain by C.L. Polk
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
Values by the former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney is the #1 Canadian nonfiction book this week.
In Values, Carney looks at the "fault lines" that divide contemporary society — racial, geographical, cultural and economic — and argues that they all stem from the same thing: a crisis of values. Carney offers a vision of a better world, and a map toward getting there.
See the full Canadian nonfiction list below.
- Values by Mark Carney
- Not on My Watch by Alexandra Morton
- Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe by Dr. Bonnie Henry & Lynn Henry
- The Bedside Book of Birds by Graeme Gibson
- From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle
- 21 Things You May Not Know About the Indian Act by Bob Joseph
- Two Trees Make a Forest by Jessica J. Lee
- Embers by Richard Wagamese
- Crossroads by Kaleb Dahlgren
- Neglected No More by André Picard
The Rock from the Sky by Jon Klassen is the #1 Canadian kids book this week.
See the full Canadian kids book list below.
- The Rock from the Sky by Jon Klassen
- How to Change Everything by Naomi Klein, with Rebecca Stefoff
- The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
- The Barren Grounds by David A. Robertson
- I Sang You Down from the Stars by Tasha Spillett-Sumner, illustrated by Michaela Goade
- The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch, illustrated by Sheila McGraw
- Sometimes I Feel Like a Fox by Danielle Daniel
- The Fabulous Zed Watson! by Basil Sylvester & Kevin Sylvester
- Little You by Richard Van Camp, illustrated by Julie Flett