Sydney Smith is an award-winning artist and illustrator.
Nova Scotia illustrator Sydney Smith has brought numerous children's stories to life with his artwork. He won the 2015 Governor General's Literary Award for children's literature (illustrated books) as well as The New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book of the Year for his wordless picture book Sidewalk Flowers by JonArno Lawson. His latest published work, Town Is by the Sea, written by Joanne Schwartz, is the story of a day in the life of a young maritime boy and the things he sees in his seaside coal-mining town. Their collaboration won the $50K TD Canadian Children's Literature Award — Canada's richest prize for children's books.
- Joanne Schwartz and Sydney Smith win $50K TD Canadian Children's Literature Award
- Sydney Smith: 6 stories I'd love to illustrate
- Jan Thornhill's favourite book of 2017 was Town Is by the Sea by Joanne Schwartz & Sydney Smith
- How East Coast mining culture inspired Joanne Schwartz and Sydney Smith's beautiful picture book
- Grade 4 and 5 students in Halifax get to know coal mining culture through Town Is by the Sea
- Sydney Smith and Joanne Schwartz's favourite Canadian book of 2018: The Funeral by Matt James
Books by Sydney Smith
To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.
By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.
Become a CBC Account Holder
Join the conversation Create account
Already have an account?