Return of the Trickster
All Jared Martin had ever wanted was to be normal, which was already hard enough when he had to cope with Maggie, his hard-partying, gun-toting, literal witch of a mother, Indigenous teen life and his own addictions. When he wakes up naked, dangerously dehydrated and confused in the basement of his mom's old house in Kitimat, some of the people he loves — the ones who don't see the magic he attracts — just think he fell off the wagon after a tough year of sobriety. The truth for Jared is so much worse.
He finally knows for sure that he is the only one of his bio dad Wee'git's 535 children who is a Trickster too, a shapeshifter with a free pass to other dimensions. Sarah, his ex, is happy he's a magical being, but everyone else he loves is either pissed with him, or in mortal danger from the dark forces he's accidentally unleashed, or both. The scariest of those dark forces is his Aunt Georgina, a maniacal ogress hungry for his power, who has sent her posse of flesh-eating coy-wolves to track him down.
Even though his mother resents like hell that Jared has taken after his dad, she is also determined that no one is going to hurt her son. For Maggie it's simple — Kill or be killed, bucko. Soon Jared is at the centre of an all-out war — a horrifying place to be for the universe's sweetest Trickster, whose first instinct is not mischief and mind games but to make the world a kinder, safer, place. (From Knopf Canada)
Eden Robinson is an award-winning writer from Kitamaat, B.C. She is also the author of the novels Monkey Beach, Son of a Trickster and Trickster Drift. Return of the Trickster completes the Trickster trilogy. Son of a Trickster was a finalist for the Scotiabank Giller Prize and was championed on Canada Reads 2020 by actor Kaniehtiio Horn.
- The best Canadian fiction of 2021
- Why it took Eden Robinson eight years to write Son of a Trickster
- Eden Robinson on the fluidity of oral stories
- Eden Robinson on her musical afterlife and dream CanLit Trivial Pursuit Partner
- 58 Canadian works of fiction coming out in spring 2021
- The CBC Books spring 2021 reading list
- Eden Robinson's novel Return of the Trickster completes the story of a teen named Jared
- 21 books for the sci-fi and fantasy lover on your holiday shopping list