Mary Berg among finalists of the 2022 Taste Canada Awards celebrating Canadian food writing
The awards celebrate Canada’s best cookbooks of the year
Mary Berg is among the finalists of the 2022 Taste Canada Awards.
Forty-five titles from six provinces have been nominated for the 2022 Taste Canada Awards, which are Canada's only food writing awards.
Celebrating their 25th year, the Taste Canada Awards annually celebrate the year's best in Canadian food writing. Gold and silver medal winners were awarded across five English-language and five French-language categories.
Well Seasoned by Mary Berg is nominated in the General Cookbooks category.
Berg is the Ontario home cook who was a winner of TV's MasterChef Canada and is currently host of Mary's Kitchen Crush. Berg is also the author of the cookbook Kitchen Party.
For her book Well Seasoned, Berg decided on 100 seasonal recipes for her second cookbook, focusing on meals she typically cooks for family and friends over the course of a year.
You can see the complete shortlist for the English-language awards below:
- Bread & Water Essays by dee Hobsbawn-Smith
- Food to Grow On: The Ultimate Guide to Childhood Nutrition from Pregnancy to Packed Lunches by Sarah Remmer and Cara Rosenbloom
- Menno-Nightcaps: Cocktails Inspired by that Odd Ethno-Religious Group You Keep Mistaking for the Amish, Quakers or Mormons by Sherri Klassen
- Mrs Dalgairns's Kitchen: Rediscovering 'The Practice of Cookery' edited by Mary F. Williamson
- The Distilleries of Vancouver Island: A Guided Tour of West Coast Craft and Artisan Spirits by Marianne Scott
- Fast Easy Cheap Vegan by Sam Turnbull
- Hearth & Home: Cook, Share, and Celebrate Family-Style by Lynn Crawford
- Maman: The Cookbook All-Day Recipes to Warm Your Heart by Elisa Marshall and Benjamin Sormonte
- My New Table: Everyday Inspiration for Eating + Living by Trish Magwood
- Well Seasoned: A Year's Worth of Delicious Recipes by Mary Berg
- Cyprus Cuisine by Christina Loucas
- Eat, Habibi, Eat! Fresh Recipes for Modern Egyptian Cooking by Shahir Massoud
- Food, Culture, Place: Stories, Traditions and Recipes of Newfoundland by Lori McCarthy and Marsha Tulk
- Macedonia The Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from the Balkans by Katarina Nitsou
- The Double Happiness Cookbook: 88 Feel-Good Recipes and Food Stories by Trevor Lui
- Acorn: Vegetables Re-imagined, Seasonal Recipes from Root to Stem by Shira Blustein and Brian Luptak
- Earth to Table Bakes: Everyday Recipes for Baking with Good Ingredients by Bettina Schormann and Erin Schiestel
- Jam Bake: Inspired Recipes for Creating and Baking with Preserves by Camilla Wynne
- Sheet Pan Everything by Ricardo Larrivée
- The Zero-Waste Chef: Plant-Forward Recipes and Tips for a Sustainable Kitchen and Planet by Anne-Marie Bonneau
Health or Special Diet Cookbooks
- Becoming Sugar-Free: How to Break Up with Inflammatory Sugars and Embrace a Naturally Sweet Life by Julie Daniluk
- Live Well Collection: Recipes, Food Stories and Culinary Tips to Help You Thrive! by Shauna Versloot
- The Food Doula Cookbook: A Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy and a Nourished New Mom by Lindsay Taylor
The 2022 winners will be announced at a gala in November.