32 writers named to the 2020 CBC Short Story Prize longlist
Thirty-two writers have made the longlist for the 2020 CBC Short Story Prize. The complete longlist is:
- Liking It by Hollie Adams (Bangor, Maine)
- Victory Meat by Martin James Ainsley (Fredericton)
- Cavalier Boy by Candace Allan (Calgary)
- Highballin' by Lyle Burwell (Sudbury, Ont.)
- Gibson by Brenda Damen (Calgary)
- Sinking by Brad Donaldson (Halifax)
- Bodies by Nina Dragicevic (Toronto)
- Every Night Like New Years by Justina Elias (Victoria)
- But Not to Call Me Back or Say Goodbye by Sarah Fulton (Oshawa, Ont.)
- Back to Where You Came From by Andrea Gunraj (Toronto)
- Courage, My Love by Christine Higdon (Etobicoke, Ont.)
- Charlie is Surviving by Raechel Huizinga (Kingston, Ont.)
- I Am Aani Littlecrab by Julia Jenkins (Nanaimo, B.C.)
- Our Father by Zilla Jones (Winnipeg)
- The Jungle by Richard Joseph (London, Ont.)
- The Arms of Village by Trent Lewin (Waterloo, Ont.)
- Allergic to Food by Sarah Lord (New Denver, B.C.)
- Aranaj, the Fishmonger Who Wept for the Fish by Helen Han Wei Luo (Richmond, B.C.)
- Hole in the Wall by Aga Maksimowska (Toronto)
- Northwest and Back by Kathleen May (Huntsville, Ont.)
- Herringbone by Eleni Polychronakos (Montreal)
- Bartleby by Bonny Reichert (Toronto)
- Achimenes II by Mélisandre Schofield (Montreal)
- Easily Torn by Daryl Sneath (Seagrave, Ont.)
- Comparative Literature by Ian Stewart (Toronto)
- The Schmiss by Kate Timmers (Kitchener, Ont.)
- My Father's Wife by Meg Todd (Vancouver)
- No Escalator by Karen-Maria Tratt (Calgary)
- Dancing in the Rain by Coryn Urquhart (Hamilton, Ont.)
- The Echoes Are All Mine by Brent van Staalduinen (Hamilton, Ont.)
- Spud Life by Tracey Waddleton (Montreal)
- Black-legged Kittiwake by Julia Zarankin (Toronto)
The longlist was selected from more than 2,400 English-language submissions.
A team of writers and editors from across Canada compiled the list. The jury then selects the shortlist and the eventual winner from the readers' longlisted selections.
The 2020 jury is comprised of David Bezmozgis, Alix Hawley and Rawi Hage. They will select the shortlist and the winner.
The shortlist will be announced on April 15 and the winner will be announced on April 22.
The winner of the 2020 CBC Short Story Prize will receive $6,000 from the Canada Council for the Arts, have their work published on CBC Books and attend a two-week writing residency at the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity. Four finalists will each receive $1,000 from the Canada Council for the Arts and have their work published on CBC Books.
The longlist for the French-language competition has also been revealed. To read more, go to the Prix de la nouvelle Radio-Canada.
The CBC Literary Prizes have been recognizing Canadian writers since 1979. Past winners include Michael Ondaatje, Carol Shields, Michael Winter and Frances Itani.
If you're interested in other writing competitions, check out the CBC Literary Prizes.
The CBC Poetry Prize is currently open and accepting submissions until May 31, 2020.