Joanne Schwartz is a children's author and librarian from Cape Breton, NS. Her children's book, Town Is by the Sea, won the $50K TD Canadian Children's Literature Award in 2018 and was a Governor General Literary Award finalist. Illustrated by Sydney Smith, the picture book tells the story of a day in the life of a young maritime boy and the things he sees in his seaside coal-mining town.
- Joanne Schwartz and Sydney Smith win $50,000 TD Canadian Children's Literature Award
- Jan Thornhill's favourite book of 2017 was Town Is by the Sea by Joanne Schwartz & Sydney Smith
- The best Canadian young adult and children's books of 2017
- How East Coast mining culture inspired Joanne Schwartz and Sydney Smith's beautiful picture book
- Grade 4 and 5 students in Halifax get to know coal mining culture through Town Is by the Sea
- Sydney Smith and Joanne Schwartz's favourite Canadian book of 2018: The Funeral by Matt James