Catherine Hernandez, illustrated by Syrus Marcus Ware
I Promise captures with love and honesty the intimate moments of parenting in all their messy glory — from dealing with a kid who doesn't want to brush their teeth to looking under the bed for monsters to cuddling after a long day. This charming picture book showcases the many shapes, sizes and colours that families come in, emphasizing that every queer family starts with the sacred promise to love a child. (From Arsenal Pulp Press)
Catherine Hernandez is a playwright, performer and the author of the novel Scarborough.
Syrus Marcus Ware is a visual artist, activist and scholar whose work has appeared in the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Globe and Mail and part of Nuit Blanche.
- How Catherine Hernandez opens her heart to find the stories she should tell
- 'All power to all people': Syrus Marcus Ware makes art in hope of a more free world
- 30 Canadian picture books to watch for this fall
- 12 books for kids and young adults to read this fall
- The best Canadian picture books of 2019
- 7 Canadian books for younger readers to check out during Black History Month 2020