Forest of Reading reveals chosen books for 2021 program — students across Canada will choose the winners
The Forest of Reading has announced the nominated titles for 2021.
Students from kindergarten to high school are encouraged to read from a selection of shortlisted books and vote for their favourites.
A total of nine categories — six English and three French — reflecting different reading levels and genres are recognized. Each category has 10 nominated titles.
Forest of Reading is the largest reading award program in Canada. More than 270,000 students will participate in the program.
The English-language categories are:
- Blue Spruce Award: picture books for readers in kindergarten to Grade 2
- Silver Birch Express Award: fiction or nonfiction for readers in Grades 3-4
- Silver Birch Fiction Award: fiction for readers from Grades 3-6
- Yellow Cedar Award: nonfiction for readers in Grades 4-8
- Red Maple Award: fiction for readers in Grades 7-8
- White Pine Award: fiction for readers in high school
The 10 finalists in each category are chosen by a committee of library practitioners. You can click on the category name above to learn more about this year's finalists.
The Forest of Reading program is organized by the Ontario Library Association.
Details about voting will be announced later. The winners will be revealed in spring 2021.