Why Mozhdah Jamalzadah thinks The Boat People should win Canada Reads
The finalists for Canada Reads 2018 have been announced. Now it's up to the defenders to make the case for why their chosen title should win CBC's annual battle of the books.
The debates, hosted by Ali Hassan, take place March 26-29, 2018.
"The world is facing the worst refugee crisis in history. More than 65 million people are either refugees, internally displaced or seeking asylum. These are not numbers and statistics, these are human beings with their own individual stories. The Boat People gives the refugee crisis a human face. This book was a great reminder of what my parents suffered through to get us to safety, just like millions of others. I will not take my privileges as a Canadian for granted after reading this book."
The Canada Reads 2018 contenders:
- Mozhdah Jamalzadah, defending The Boat People by Sharon Bala
- Tahmoh Penikett, defending American War by Omar El Akkad
- Greg Johnson, defending Precious Cargo by Craig Davidson
- Jeanne Beker, defending Forgiveness by Mark Sakamoto
- Jully Black, defending The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline