Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead
Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead won Canada Reads 2021, when it was championed by Devery Jacobs
About Jonny Appleseed
"You're gonna need a rock and a whole lotta medicine" is a mantra that Jonny Appleseed, a young two-spirit/Indigiqueer, repeats to himself in this vivid and utterly compelling novel. Off the reserve and trying to find ways to live and love in the big city, Jonny becomes a cybersex worker who fetishizes himself in order to make a living. Self-ordained as an NDN glitter princess, Jonny has one week before he must return to the "rez," and his former life, to attend the funeral of his stepfather. The next seven days are like a fevered dream: stories of love, trauma, sex, kinship, ambition and the heartbreaking recollection of his beloved kokum. Jonny's world is a series of breakages, appendages and linkages — and as he goes through the motions of preparing to return home, he learns how to put together the pieces of his life.
Jonny Appleseed is a unique, shattering vision of Indigenous life, full of grit, glitter and dreams. (From Arsenal Pulp Press)
Jonny Appleseed was on the longlist for the 2018 Scotiabank Giller Prize and was shortlisted for the Governor General's Literary Award for fiction and the Amazon Canada First Novel Award. It also won the Lambda Literary Award for gay fiction.
- The top 10 bestselling Canadian books of 2021
- The best Canadian fiction of 2018
- Canada Reads winner Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead optioned for TV adaptation
- Why Joshua Whitehead wants to recentre Indigenous characters with his cyberpunk-infused poetry
- 14 Canadian books by LBGTQ authors to celebrate Pride Month
- Why Joshua Whitehead explores being Indigiqueer and two-spirit in his debut novel
- 7 new books by Indigenous authors you need to add to your reading list
- 12 great Canadian debut novels you should check out
- The CBC Books summer reading list: 18 cool books to read while the weather heats up
- 16 books to get dad this Father's Day
- Why Joshua Whitehead plays with form and time in his debut novel
- Monique Gray Smith's favourite book in 2018: Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead
- 35 books to read for National Indigenous History Month
- Read an excerpt from Jonny Appleseed
- CBC Books winter 2021 reading list
- 44 books to read from Indigenous creators who identify as women and/or two-spirit
- Read an excerpt and see the cover for Joshua Whitehead's upcoming book, Making Love with the Land
"Jonny is a character that's been with me since I was 17 or 18. He's this little kid obsessed with the beatniks and problem novels like Go Ask Alice. He came from poems that I excised from full-metal indigiqueer. When I took those little poems and planted them into this new idea for a story, Jonny took the stage and was like, 'Here I am — write me into the world.'
Jonny is the better parts of me, hyperbolized. From that came this shiny, glittered figure of light for myself.- Joshua Whitehead
"A lot of people are reading him as this hyper-confident, super-suave swindling character. But I had to craft a two-spirit character who has pain, but who is triumphant in that pain, shifting it into love. Jonny is the better parts of me, hyperbolized. From that came this shiny, glittered figure of light for myself."
Watch the Canada Reads trailer for Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead
Interviews with Joshua Whitehead
I figured that I was gay when I was eight. I stayed up late after everyone went to bed and watched Queer as Folk on my kokum's TV. She had a satellite and all the channels, pirated of course. At the time, my mom and I were living with my kokum because my dad had left us thinking he was Dolly Parton or Garth Brooks or something. Queer as Folk aired at midnight on Showcase; I muted the channel, added subtitles, and watched as four gay men lived their lives in Pittsburgh. I wanted to be like them, I wanted to have lofts and go to gay bars and dance with cute boys and blow and get blown in a Philly gloryhole. I wanted to work in comic shops and universities, be sexy and rich. I wanted that.
From Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead ©2018. Published by Arsenal Pulp Press.
Other books by Joshua Whitehead
- Rosey Edeh champions The Midnight Bargain by C.L. Polk
- Scott Helman champions Two Trees Make a Forest by Jessica J. Lee
- Devery Jacobs champions Jonny Appleseed by Joshua Whitehead
- Paul Sun-Hyung Lee champions Hench by Natalie Zina Walschots
- Roger Mooking champions Butter Honey Pig Bread by Francesca Ekwuyasi