Billy-Ray Belcourt is a Rhodes Scholar and PhD student from Driftpile Cree Nation in Alberta. His debut collection of poetry, This Wound is a World, is unapologetically Indigenous and queer at the same time. Belcourt issues a call to turn to love and sex to understand how Indigenous peoples shoulder sadness and pain without giving up on the future.
Belcourt won the 2018 Griffin Poetry Prize for This Wound is a World. The collection also won the 2018 Indigenous Voices Award for most significant work of poetry in English and was a finalist for the 2018 Governor General's Literary Award for poetry.
- 18 writers to watch in 2018
- Billy-Ray Belcourt on writing an 'instruction manual for a queer Indigenous future'
- How the Snotty Nose Rez Kids inspire Billy-Ray Belcourt
- Billy-Ray Belcourt's favourite Canadian book of 2018: nîtisânak by Lindsay Nixon
- 100 writers in Canada you need to know