A reconciliation reading list: 15 must-read books
On Oct. 22, 1966, near Kenora, Ont., Chanie Wenjack died trying to walk home to the family he was taken from over 400 miles away. Chanie's story inspired Gord Downie's new project, Secret Path, an album, graphic novel and film he hopes will inspire a national conversation about reconciliation and the truth about Canada's history.
Here are 15 books that contribute to the national conversation about reconciliation.
- Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- Birdie by Tracey Lindberg
- Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese
- The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King
- Up Ghost River by Edmund Metatawabin, with Alexandra Shimo
- The Reason You Walk by Wab Kinew
- Price Paid by Bev Sellars
- Wenjack by Joseph Boyden
- The Outside Circle by Patti LaBoucane-Benson, illustrated by Kelly Mellings
- The Education of Augie Merasty by Joseph Auguste Merasty, with David Carpenter
- The Break by Katherena Vermette
- The Lesser Blessed by Richard Van Camp
- Secret Path by Gord Downie, illustrated by Jeff Lemire