A Brightness Long Ago
Guy Gavriel Kay
In a chamber overlooking the nighttime waterways of a maritime city, a man looks back on his youth and the people who shaped his life. Danio Cerra's intelligence won him entry to a renowned school even though he was only the son of a tailor. He took service at the court of a ruling count–and soon learned why that man was known as the Beast.
Danio's fate changed the moment he saw and recognized Adria Ripoli as she entered the count's chambers one autumn night — intending to kill. Born to power, Adria had chosen, instead of a life of comfort, one of danger — and freedom. Which is how she encounters Danio in a perilous time and place.
Vivid figures share the unfolding story. Among them: a healer determined to defy her expected lot; a charming, frivolous son of immense wealth; a powerful religious leader more decadent than devout; and, affecting all these lives and many more, two larger-than-life mercenary commanders, lifelong adversaries, whose rivalry puts a world in the balance. (From Penguin Random House)
- The best Canadian fiction of 2019
- The CBC Books summer reading list: 33 books to check out this season
- Guy Gavriel Kay: 6 books I love
- Guy Gavriel Kay on what his tombstone will say
- 28 works of Canadian fiction to watch for in spring 2019
- 11 Canadian books coming out in May we can't wait to read
- Guy Gavriel Kay on why writing fantasy fiction about destiny, dominion and deceit will never go out of style
- 10 Canadian sci-fi and fantasy books to check out this summer
Interviews with Guy Gavriel Kay
Other books by Guy Gavriel Kay