29 poets make the 2016 CBC Poetry Prize longlist
The next winner of the 2016 CBC Poetry Prize will be found among this list of 29 Canadian poets.
Here is the complete list of finalists:
- "The Edge of Everything" by Ross Belot (Hamilton, Ont.)
- "In six, the seasons" by Selina Boan (Vancouver, B.C.)
- "Uncensored Reply" by Leanne Boschman (Vancouver, B.C.)
- "architectures" by Susan Buis (Knutsford, B.C.)
- "The Overview Effect" by Chad Campbell (Toronto, Ont.)
- "Pediatric Ward" by name withheld
- "The Metabolites" by Adam Dickinson (St. Catharines, Ont.)
- "Museum of Natural History" by Jaime Forsythe (Halifax, N.S.)
- "African Canadian in Union Blue" by Michael Fraser (Toronto, Ont.)
- "Better Birthing Through Chemistry" by Adrienne Gruber (Vancouver, B.C.)
- "Will's Diaries: Enkroetschment 1, How to begin" by Maureen Scott Harris (Toronto, Ont.)
- "Donkey Kong" by Mathew Henderson (Toronto, Ont.)
- "Merchant Vessel and Bomb Crater Behind Vimy Station" by Matthew Hollett (St. John's, N.L.)
- "Goodness" by Robyn Jeffrey (Wakefield, Que.)
- "from Ruba'iyat for the Time of Apricot" by Basma Kavanagh (Carbonear, N.L.)
- "Evolution" by Dawn Marie Kresan (Kingsville, Ont.)
- "Imaginember" by Richard LaRose (Ithaca, N.Y., originally from Stettler, Alta.)
- "kîwetinotahk pimâcihowin - northern journeys" by Andréa Ledding (Saskatoon, S.K.)
- "Some Hopes for the Afterlife" by Brenda Leifso (Kingston, Ont.)
- "Elegy for Jabronis" by J.R. McConvey (Toronto, Ont.)
- "de mens" by Karl Meade (Calgary, Alta. & Salt Spring Island, B.C.)
- "Bear-Father" by Benjamin Neelin (Pierrefonds, Que.)
- "Between you and home" by Michelle Porter (St. John's, N.L., originally from Calgary, Alta.)
- "Waiting Rooms" by Medrie Purdham (Regina, Sask., originally from Edmonton, Atla.)
- "What You Have Heard is True" by Ana Rodriguez Machado (Toronto, Ont.)
- "Storm" by Nicholas Ruddock (Guelph, Ont.)
- "To My Friends Who Didn't Visit Me in the Mental Hospital" by Jacob Scheier (Columbus, Ohio, originally from Toronto, Ont.)
- "The Last of His Sap" by Paddy Scott (Trenton, Ont.)
- "Conversation Pieces" by Phoebe Wang (Toronto, Ont.)
The longlist was selected by a team of readers, all published Canadian poets: Helen Hajnoczky, Liz Howard, Brent MacLaine, Sharon McCartney, Cassidy McFadzean, Guillaume Morissette, Soraya Peerbaye, Michael Prior, Jamaal Jackson Rogers and Rebecca Thomas.
The jury, which consists of Roo Borson, George Elliott Clarke and Erín Moure, will select the four finalists and the grand prize winner. The shortlist will be announced on Nov. 10 and the grand prize winner will be revealed on Nov. 16. The winning poet will receive $6,000 from the Canada Council for the Arts, publication in Air Canada enRoute magazine and a 10-day writing residency at the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity.
To check out the longlist for the French competition, go to the Prix de poésie Radio-Canada 2016.
The CBC Poetry Prize has been awarded annually since 1979. Past winners include Lorna Crozier, Alison Pick, Jeramy Dodds and Susan Musgrave.
Last year's winner was Mark Wagenaar. You can read his winning poem "String Theory" here.