CBC Digital Archives CBC butterfly logo

CBC Archives has a new look: Please go to cbc.ca/archives to access the new site.

The page you are looking at will not be updated.

Dr. Murray McQuigge blows whistle on Walkerton culprits

The Story

"We felt that the people and public of Walkerton should know that what has happened and is happening is not a mystery -- this could have been prevented," a sombre Dr. Murray McQuigge says in a prepared statement read on CBC Radio. McQuigge, the regional medical officer of health for the Grey-Bruce Health Unit, reveals that the Walkerton Public Utilities Commission lied to authorities about a compromised water filtration system. The PUC is responsible for testing and maintaining the water quality. McQuigge explains that the PUC deliberately misled authorities and as a result, people have needlessly died. He says they knew about the contamination as early as May 18. "I want to make sure I understand this," the CBC's Metro Morning host Andy Barrie asks incredulously, "this was not a sin of omission, this was a sin of commission? They actually, they actually, lied to you?" They were definitely not forthcoming, McQuigge replies. 

Medium: Radio
Program: Metro Morning
Broadcast Date: May 25, 2000
Guest(s): Murray McQuigge
Announcer: Anubha Parray
Host: Andy Barrie
Duration: 11:19

Did You know?

• On May 17, 2000, water samples taken by the Walkerton PUC indicated that the water was contaminated with E. coli. PUC Manager Stan Koebel did not notify the public health office. On the same day, Walkerton residents began complaining of stomach cramps and diarrhea.

• McQuigge was puzzled by the outbreak and asked Koebel if the water system was safe; Koebel assured him that nothing was amiss at the PUC. McQuigge's team then began to search for different sources of possible contamination but were puzzled by the widespread reach of the outbreak.

• After conducting a thorough investigation, McQuigge was convinced that the bacteria was being transmitted through the water. On May 21, contrary to the PUC's earlier assertions that the water was safe, McQuigge issued a boil-water advisory and began an independent water-testing investigation. Two days later, on May 23, McQuigge's team found that the water was indeed contaminated with the fatal E. coli O157:H7.

• McQuigge was praised by some townspeople and colleagues for breaking an unnecessary and dangerous silence. Other Walkerton residents criticized the doctor for waiting too long to issue a boil-water advisory. McQuigge has always asserted that his team did their best. He said the only possible action he might've changed was to issue the advisory on television instead of radio. The Association of Local Public Health Agencies for Ontario gave McQuigge a merit award for his work.

• McQuigge later expressed his distaste for the term "whistleblower" because of its subtext of snitching. He has always remained steadfast that his actions weren't heroic — he was simply doing his job by alerting the public. At the Walkerton Public Inquiry, which would be held in 2001, McQuigge insisted that he was forced to come forward with the revelations because town officials were slow to come forward and warn Walkerton residents.


Death on Tap: The Poisoning of Walkerton more