All Chris Bosh is hoping for in his attempt at an NBA comeback is for a team to take a chance on him. And the one-time Toronto Raptor is at peace if that doesn't happen.
Bosh, 33, said in a TV appearance on ESPN last month that he wants to resume his basketball career two years after medical issues forced him to the sidelines. He opened up further on the matter as part of a lengthy interview with ESPN's Jackie MacMullan published Thursday.
"I'm going to give one more shot,'' Bosh said. "That's all it is — a shot.
"I'm at a space in my life where I see gifts I've been given, and if it ends, it's been a helluva ride. I did more than I'd ever think I'd do."
An 11-time NBA all-star, Bosh was found to have a blood clot in his lungs in February 2015, bringing his season to an end. He returned in 2016 and was voted to the all-star game before a blood clot was found in his leg in February, and Bosh has not played since.
Bosh failed a physical before the 2016-17 season. With Bosh disputing his status, the NBA conducted a review, allowed the Heat to place him on waivers and to clear the remaining $52 million US on his contract from their salary cap.
Bosh spent seven seasons with the Raptors before joining forces with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade on the Heat. He has career averages of 19.2 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists.
ESPN polled four general managers to gauge their interest in Bosh, and all four believed teams would rush to sign him if he was given a clean bill of health. However, two of the GMs were further hung up on his health.
"If he was healthy, he'd be playing for the Miami Heat right now," one GM told ESPN. "The fact they determined it was not an option makes me say we're not going there.''
"The risk is too great,'' said another GM. "We're talking about a life-threatening condition. Who wants to mess with that?"
The deadline for free-agent signings in the NBA is March 1. Players added after that date are ineligible for the post-season.