Ottawa

Ottawa shooting: Day of chaos remembered 1 year later

'We remember them, and we honour their service to Canada,' Governor General says of 2 soldiers killed in 2014

Posted: October 22, 2015
Last Updated: October 22, 2015

Tap to see caption
Prime Minister Stephen Harper and prime minister-designate Justin Trudeau stood side by side on Oct. 22, 2015 while laying a wreath at an Ottawa memorial service in recognition of the fatal shooting of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and the death of Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, who were killed on home soil a year ago. (Chris Wattie/Reuters)
Tap to see caption
Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie Grégoire sat next to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife, Laureen Harper, in the front row of the ceremonial service, on Parliament Hill, on Thursday. (Giacomo Panico/CBC Radio-Canada)
Tap to see caption
The public ceremony, attended by Gov. Gen. David Johnston and the families of Cirillo and Vincent, alongside dozens of other top officials, began at 11 a.m. ET to remember the events of one year ago, when a gunman shot and killed a ceremonial guard at the National War Memorial before being shot to death himself in a hail of gunfire on Parliament Hill. (Giacomo Panico/CBC Radio-Canada)
Tap to see caption
Therese Guerette, the mother of slain Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, arrives at the ceremony. (Chris Wattie/Reuters)
Tap to see caption
The family of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, including his mother, Kathy, and son, Marcus, were in the front row. Gov. Gen. David Johnston, in an address before the hundreds of soldiers, dignitaries and members of the public who attended, said: 'Their duty was to defend us and to bravely stand on guard for their country. Ours is to remember their sacrifice, and to remember why they served.' (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)
Tap to see caption
Marcus Cirillo, son of Corporal Nathan Cirillo, lays a wreath in front of a plaque dedicated to his father. (Patrick Doyle/Reuters)
Tap to see caption
Ceremonial guards, along with a heightened security presence, stood at attention during the ceremony, which included a 21-gun salute for Cirillo and Vincent, as well as a CF-18 fly-by in missing man formation. (Giacomo Panico/CBC Radio-Canada)
Tap to see caption
A plaque in honour of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo has been placed near the site where he was shot. It reads: Killed on October 22, 2014 as he stood sentry at the sacred Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Corporal Cirillo never left his post. Forevermore he shall stand sentry, on guard for Canada. A plaque to commemorate Vincent is expected to be unveiled in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu next year. (Giacomo Panico/CBC Radio-Canada)
Tap to see caption
A day before the official public event, ceremonial sentries, seen here during a changing of the guard, were posted at the National War Memorial where Cpl. Nathan Cirillo was shot by a troubled 32-year-old who was himself killed in a hail of bullets inside Centre Block. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

A crowd of about 2,000 people — including hundreds of soldiers, government officials and citizens — gathered at the National War Memorial in downtown Ottawa on Thursday to honour the two soldiers killed on their home soil last year, and to pay tribute to the families still adjusting to life without them and the first responders who stepped in to help.

"It's been one year. We continue to grieve, we continue to heal," said Gov. Gen. David Johnston in his speech to mark "a painful anniversary."

Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, left, and Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, right, were killed in unrelated attacks within days of each other in October 2014. A ceremony to mark a year since their deaths was held at the National War Memorial in Ottawa Thursday morning. (Canadian Press)

The killing of 24-year-old Cpl. Nathan Cirillo at the memorial on Oct. 22, 2014, and the sounds and images of gunfire ringing through the halls of Centre Block as security staff and frightened parliamentarians raced through corridors, climbed out of windows and locked themselves in meeting rooms to escape the gunman, shocked the country and received media coverage worldwide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Just two days earlier, 53-year-old Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent was struck and killed in a targeted but unrelated hit and run in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que.

"We remember them, and we honour their service to Canada," Johnston said. "Their duty was to defend us and to bravely stand on guard for their country. Ours is to remember their sacrifice, and to remember why they served."

Plaque unveiled

Cirillo's mother, Kathy Cirillo, clutched her grandson, Marcus, flanked by the slain corporal's stepfather, two sisters and other relatives. Vincent's mother, Thérèse Guérette, sat next to Vincent's three sisters.

Next to the families, outgoing Prime Minister Stephen Harper and prime minister-designate Justin Trudeau sat side by side with their wives, rising together to lay a wreath at the foot of the memorial.

As they sat back down, the two leaders shook hands.

From right: Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife, Laureen Harper, and Justin Trudeau, prime minister-designate of Canada, and his wife, Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau, stood side by side at the ceremony. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

A bugler sounded the Last Post, The Rouse and The Lament through an otherwise silent memorial plaza, and two minutes of silence were observed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Four CF-18 Hornet fighter jets flew past in missing man formation — one jet moving away from the others to signify lives lost.

Johnston laid a wreath as well, accompanied by Cpl. Brandon Stevenson, the ceremonial guard who was standing sentry next to Cirillo the morning he was killed.

Master Cpl. Kyle Button, who was also part of the ceremonial guard that day and was the first to give medical care to Cirillo, accompanied Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson.

After the public proceedings were over, a plaque to commemorate Cirillo's life was unveiled in a private ceremony at the southeast side of the memorial site. A plaque to commemorate Vincent is expected to be unveiled in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu in 2016.

"The ceremony was absolutely beautiful. It was very impressive ... special, it was dignified," said Louise Vincent, one of the slain warrant officer's sisters, adding that the fly-by of the fighter jets was especially moving. Helicopters flew in the same formation at her brother's funeral service.

"That's difficult, because obviously it's him leaving," she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dozens of lives changed

Dozens of lives were changed in the few minutes that elapsed between the first shot fired by gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau in Ottawa and the last that killed him, and the effects of the crime on the nation's capital are still being felt today.

It began at 9:50 a.m. on Oct. 22, 2014, a Wednesday morning.

A troubled 32-year-old Zehaf-Bibeau had minutes earlier recorded a short video manifesto on a cellphone, then used a rifle to shoot Cirillo, a reservist from Hamilton, who was serving with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada regiment.

Cirillo was one of two ceremonial guards — unarmed in keeping with their mandate — watching over the National War Memorial that day.

Next to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, a group of six people who were nearby tried to keep Cirillo alive. Lawyer Barbara Winters was one of them.

While the others performed CPR and put pressure on his wounds, Winters spoke to Cirillo.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I told him he was loved, and that he was brave, and that he was a good man," Winters told CBC News.

"Your military family loves you," she remembered telling him. "Look at these people, we're all here helping you. We're all trying to do what we can for you. We all love you."

Last October, police ran through the streets with their weapons drawn shortly after the shooting to establish a security perimeter downtown as investigators tried to determine if there were any other gunmen. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Cirillo was taken to hospital but died of his injuries.

As the group of six — who still meet, connected even now by that day's ordeal — tried to save Cirillo's life, a still armed Zehaf-Bibeau drove to Parliament Hill, commandeered another vehicle and ran inside Centre Block.

After a standoff with security staff in the Hall of Honour, outside the Library of Parliament, Zehaf-Bibeau was shot 31 times and died.

Then sergeant-at-arms Kevin Vickers, now Canada's ambassador to Ireland, and RCMP Const. Curtis Barrett fired the fatal shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was over within five minutes.

Confusion reigned for hours

While the attack took just minutes to unfold and the lone gunman was killed, confusion reigned for hours in downtown Ottawa as police worked to determine whether anyone else was involved.

People within the downtown Ottawa security perimeter were told to leave hours after the shooting took place. The perimeter was lifted 10 hours after the shooter was gunned down. (Blair Gable/Reuters)

Thousands of workers were told to stay inside their buildings as hundreds of Ottawa police, RCMP and other officers responded, fanning out on downtown streets with their handguns and assault rifles at the ready to establish a security perimeter.

At an afternoon news conference more than four hours later, police still weren't able to say whether there were any other shooters or suspects at large.

The downtown security perimeter was lifted that night, more than 10 hours after Cirillo was gunned down, but with still no confirmation about any other suspects, Ottawans went to sleep unsure if the threat had been eliminated.

Hill security forces unified

Today, security efforts on Parliament Hill and at the National War Memorial have changed.

ADVERTISEMENT

At the memorial, where the unarmed Cirillo was shot three times in the back, ceremonial guards remain unarmed on duty but are now closely watched by pairs of armed Ottawa police officers working in shifts, paid for by the Department of National Defence.

As for Parliament Hill security, OPP, RCMP and Ottawa police reports on the law enforcement response to the shooting all identified a need for improvement after the confusion experienced that day, created in part by the sheer scale of the response and the fact that Hill security at the time was the responsibility of three separate bodies: the RCMP and House of Commons and Senate forces.

A newly created Parliamentary Protective Service officially took control of security throughout the parliamentary precinct in June of this year. It's directed by RCMP Chief Supt. Michael Duheme, reports to the RCMP's national division and is accountable to the Speakers of the House of Commons and the Senate.

'We're always at risk now'

But while the Hill security changes are good they're not enough, according to Senator Vern White, Ottawa's former chief of police.

Tap to see caption
Prime Minister Stephen Harper and prime minister-designate Justin Trudeau stood side by side on Oct. 22, 2015 while laying a wreath at an Ottawa memorial service in recognition of the fatal shooting of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and the death of Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, who were killed on home soil a year ago. (Chris Wattie/Reuters)
Tap to see caption
Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie Grégoire sat next to Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife, Laureen Harper, in the front row of the ceremonial service, on Parliament Hill, on Thursday. (Giacomo Panico/CBC Radio-Canada)
Tap to see caption
The public ceremony, attended by Gov. Gen. David Johnston and the families of Cirillo and Vincent, alongside dozens of other top officials, began at 11 a.m. ET to remember the events of one year ago, when a gunman shot and killed a ceremonial guard at the National War Memorial before being shot to death himself in a hail of gunfire on Parliament Hill. (Giacomo Panico/CBC Radio-Canada)
Tap to see caption
Therese Guerette, the mother of slain Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, arrives at the ceremony. (Chris Wattie/Reuters)
Tap to see caption
The family of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, including his mother, Kathy, and son, Marcus, were in the front row. Gov. Gen. David Johnston, in an address before the hundreds of soldiers, dignitaries and members of the public who attended, said: 'Their duty was to defend us and to bravely stand on guard for their country. Ours is to remember their sacrifice, and to remember why they served.' (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)
Tap to see caption
Marcus Cirillo, son of Corporal Nathan Cirillo, lays a wreath in front of a plaque dedicated to his father. (Patrick Doyle/Reuters)
Tap to see caption
Ceremonial guards, along with a heightened security presence, stood at attention during the ceremony, which included a 21-gun salute for Cirillo and Vincent, as well as a CF-18 fly-by in missing man formation. (Giacomo Panico/CBC Radio-Canada)
Tap to see caption
A plaque in honour of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo has been placed near the site where he was shot. It reads: Killed on October 22, 2014 as he stood sentry at the sacred Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Corporal Cirillo never left his post. Forevermore he shall stand sentry, on guard for Canada. A plaque to commemorate Vincent is expected to be unveiled in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu next year. (Giacomo Panico/CBC Radio-Canada)
Tap to see caption
A day before the official public event, ceremonial sentries, seen here during a changing of the guard, were posted at the National War Memorial where Cpl. Nathan Cirillo was shot by a troubled 32-year-old who was himself killed in a hail of bullets inside Centre Block. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

His main point of contention is pedestrian access to the Parliament Hill lawn. He says the entry points to the lawn should be reduced from five to three with officers stationed at each point, not to conduct searches but to talk to people about the reasons for their visits and about what's inside any backpacks they're carrying.

"I think there is a naiveté on the Hill as to the real potential for something bad to happen and how quick it could happen," White said in an interview this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

"You go through more of a security protocol getting in to watch the Senators play hockey than you do to walk up onto Parliament Hill."

People inside Centre Block were fortunate there was only one person with one weapon and not much of a plan involved in the Oct. 22 attack, White said.

"I think if it had been more than one … it would have been much more tragic and much more difficult for us to get past," he said.

"This is a bit of our new normal. I'm not going to suggest what will happen tomorrow, but I do think we're always at risk now."

Tap to see caption
A photo shared on Twitter taken before the shooting shows two members of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada regiment on duty guarding the National War Memorial in Ottawa on Oct. 22, 2014. Cpl. Nathan Cirillo is on the left. (Twitter)
Tap to see caption
The gunman, Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, shot Cpl. Nathan Cirillo in the back at 9:52 a.m., killing him, then fled in a stolen vehicle where he drive onto Parliament Hill and burst into Centre Block. (Twitter)
Tap to see caption
Six people who were nearby rushed to help Cpl. Nathan Cirillo until paramedics arrived. (Daniel Thibeault/CBC)
Tap to see caption
Moments after fleeing the National War Memorial, Michael Zehaf-Bibeau is shown carrying a gun while running on the front lawn of Parliament Hill in this still photo taken from surveillance video. (RCMP/Canadian Press)
Tap to see caption
Const. Samearn Son, a House of Commons security guard, was shot and wounded in the leg when he tried to wrestle the gun away from Michael Zehaf-Bibeau as he entered Centre Block. (Yves Levesque/CBC)
Tap to see caption
A picture of the Conservative Party caucus room barricaded with chairs was tweeted by MP Nina Grewal shortly after the shooting began on Parliament Hill. (MP Nina Grewal/Reuters)
Tap to see caption
Then House of Commons sergeant-at-arms Kevin Vickers, now the Canadian ambassador to Ireland, walks with his gun drawn inside Centre Block. Moments earlier he fired the shot that brought down gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. (Mike dePaul/CBC)
Tap to see caption
Hundreds of police officers responded to the shootings, some of them running through the streets with their weapons drawn as investigators tried to determine if there were any other shooters or suspects at large. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)
Tap to see caption
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at the National War Memorial was surrounded by hundreds of people during a candlelight vigil on a Saturday night just days after the shooting. (Justin Tang/Canadian Press)
Tap to see caption
Kathy Cirillo is comforted in front of the coffin of her son, Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, at his regimental funeral service in Hamilton, Ont., on Oct. 28, 2014. (Canadian Press)
Tap to see caption
RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson appeared before the Senate National Security and Defence committee on Oct. 27, 2014. Several reports into the police response to the shooting found that security protocols on Parliament Hill were inadequate. (The Canadian Press)
Tap to see caption
Michael Zehaf-Bibeau recorded a cellphone video sitting in the front seat of his car shortly before he shot and killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and then stormed Parliament. He warned the impending attacks were in retaliation to Canadian missions in Afghanistan and Iraq. (RCMP/CBC)
Tap to see caption
The six people who tried to keep Cpl. Nathan Cirillo alive are: Margaret Lerhe, front left, Martin Magnan, Barbara Winters, Cpl. Kyle Button, back left, Col. Conrad Mialkowski and Cpl. Anthony Wiseman. They posed for this photo in January 2015. (Cpl. Philippe Archambault/National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces)
Tap to see caption
Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, seen in this undated photo from his Facebook page, hugs one of his dogs. 'Nathan was Canada's son. He belonged to all of us,' his family said in a statement after his death. (Facebook/Canadian Press)