Trevor Dunn's guide to airport survival...
Keep Calm and Carry On (Without Carry On)
And Always Pack Clean Underwear!
By Trevor Dunn, Associate Producer, CBC News
For the second day in row Transport Canada has called in the cavalry. The RCMP will be backing up regular security staff at airports in Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton. Local Montreal police will be working Trudeau International.
Anyone who's set foot in an airport since Christmas Day knows why the back-up is needed. In the wake of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's attempted bombing of a transatlantic flight headed for Detroit, Transport Canada has tightened security regulations for all U.S.-bound flights. And that's created some major headaches at airport check-ins and security points. Passengers complained of long and chaotic line-ups over the weekend and on Monday.
The heightened regulations include a ban on all carry-on bags, which meant check-in lines at Toronto's Pearson International Airport slowed down as surprised passengers made last-minute luggage adjustments. There are some exceptions for the carry-on ban, like medication and small purses. A full list can be found on Transport Canada's media release.
Also, if you're flying south of the border be prepared for a pat-down before you board. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab is accused of smuggling chemical explosives aboard the Northwest Airlines jet by hiding them in his pants. Now there are reports the chemicals were actually sewn in his underwear. ABC News has photos of the remains of Abdulmutallab's alterations. The photos show a pair of burnt briefs with a packet of white powder protruding from the crotch.
Transport Canada says the increased security measures will be in place "at least for several days".
There's still no word on how long the RCMP will be providing back up.
Nicole Ireland, Producer, World Report
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's missing emails video
- The Republican presidential nominee said that the 30,000 missing emails from Clinton's private email server would reveal "some beauties" and made an extraordinary plea for a foreign power to locate them.
- New Why the TPP deal is prompting some Bernie Sanders supporters to be 'ridiculous' video
- Many disgruntled U.S. Democratic Party supporters of Bernie Sanders say their opposition to the TPP deal has emerged as one of the significant reasons they refuse to automatically throw their support behind Hillary Clinton as the party's presidential candidate.
- New ISIS releases video of alleged killers of French priest pledging allegiance video
- Islamic State's news agency on Wednesday posted a video of two men it said were those who attacked a church in France in which they pledged allegiance to the group's leader.
- Ships rush to rescue 46 from sinking boat off Alaska islands
- There were no reports of injuries as the vessels plucked the crew from the Bering Sea on Tuesday evening.
- Live What's happening on Day 3 of the Democratic National Convention video
- After a history-making day for Hillary Clinton at the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday, Wednesday’s agenda is set to keep up the pace with talks from some of the most powerful politicians in the U.S., including Barack Obama and Joe Biden.