Health Care Reform Comes to America
Barack Obama's health care bill is set to pass the senate this morning. The vote has split the US on intensely partisan lines. Critics say the bill is a shadow of what it should be and laden with "pork". The Daily Beast asks what's wrong with a little grease in exchange for a vote.
The Senate Votes at 7am ET.
CBC.CA has a look at the debate here
- Nerve agent used in murder of Kim Jong-nam, Malaysia says
- The banned chemical weapon VX nerve agent was used to kill Kim Jong-nam, the North Korean ruler's outcast half brother who was poisoned last week at the airport in Kuala Lumpur, police said Friday. The announcement raised serious questions about public safety in a building that was never decontaminated.
- Drug gangs take back control of slums in financially crippled post-Olympic Rio
- Six months after Rio de Janeiro hosted the Olympic Games and poured tens of millions of dollars into security to make the streets safer, the turf war between police and organized criminal gangs for control of the city's slums appears to be over.
- Analysis Oil production tug of war looms between OPEC and U.S.
- The past week has been a good one for OPEC. The cartel trumpeted its oil production cuts on Wednesday, saying it had made 90 per cent of the promised cuts and that non-OPEC members had made 60 per cent. Meanwhile in the U.S., rising production hit nine million barrels a day.
- Donald Trump wants to build up U.S. nuclear arsenal
- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he wants to build up the U.S. nuclear arsenal to ensure it is at the "top of the pack," saying the United States has fallen behind in its atomic weapons capacity.
- Rodrigo Duterte's harsh critic Leila de Lima arrested in Philippines
- A Philippine opposition senator and leading critic of President Rodrigo Duterte's deadly anti-drug crackdown was arrested Friday on drug charges but professed her innocence and vowed she would not be intimidated by a leader she called a "serial killer."