A Newsroom in Mourning
Michelle Lang is Canada's first journalist killed in Afghanistan.
My colleague James Murray in Kandahar met her on assignment there and says she was a quick wit, a sharp reporter, the kind of person we want more of in Afghanistan, not less.
Canwest's Don Martin has this. Sad. True.
Lang becomes the 101st journalist around the world killed in the line of duty.
- Donations pour into Planned Parenthood thanks to Mike Pence
- Donations to Planned Parenthood surged in the month since the U.S. election as supporters of the health care and abortion provider try to make a point — many of them making their donations in the name of incoming vice-president Mike Pence.
- Analysis It may be 'foolish' to ignore Trump's tweets, even when they look like 'fluff'
- Everything the U.S. president-elect does, says and writes now matters. Unless it doesn't, say media critics, amid a debate over whether the world can afford to tune out tweets by Donald Trump.
- Nearly 150 patients evacuated from east Aleppo
- Nearly 150 civilians, most disabled or in need of urgent medical care, are evacuated from a hospital in Aleppo's Old City, the first major evacuation from the eastern sector.
- 6.5-magnitude quake rolls through northern California town
- Shock waves from a 6.5 magnitude earthquake that struck off the north coast of California this morning rolled through a nearby coastal town like waves under a boat, residents say.
- Giraffes threatened by extinction, put on watch list video
- The giraffe, the tallest land animal, is now at risk of extinction, biologists say.