"Mr. Gorbachev... tear down this Wall!"
Iconic words by the late U.S. President Ronald Reagan. Click here to watch that speech.
Today, world leaders gather to mark the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel grew up in East Germany. This morning she retraced the same steps she took the night the Wall came down 20 years ago -- across the first bridge that opened.
She calls it a day of celebration. There are a number of festivities planned for tonight. But during the day today, it's been a time of reflection. And questions about whether the divide -- in an economic and quality of life sense -- has really been removed between East and West Germany.
Scroll down and listen to our latest cast for Tom Parry's report from Berlin...
And, check out CBC's Web special on the Berlin Wall. There's an interactive Wall, timeline, video and features on the real people affected.
The New York Times has a good slideshow of today's events. Check it out here.
Nicole Ireland, Producer, World Report
- Crimea Secession Vote: How, Why and What Next?
- The Ukrainian region of Crimea votes Sunday in a hastily organized referendum to break away and join Russia, in defiance of broad condemnation from the international community, which has described the process as illegitimate.
- New U.S. 'deeply disturbed' by Chinese dissident Cao Shunli's death video
- The United States is "deeply disturbed" by reports of the death of prominent Chinese human rights activist Cao Shunli, detained in September for staging sit-ins at the country's foreign ministry, the State Department said on Saturday.
- NATO websites hit by cyber attacks, official says
- Several NATO websites have been hit by cyber attacks, but they have had no impact on the military alliance's operations, a NATO spokeswoman said.
- India puts search on hold for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 video
- India on Sunday put on hold its search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, at the request of the government in Kuala Lumpur, which wants to reassess the week-old hunt for the Boeing 777 that is now suspected of being hijacked.
- Uncertainty grips Ukraine military in Crimea video
- Russian forces took control of a village just outside the border of Crimea on the eve of a referendum on whether the region should seek annexation by Moscow, Ukrainian officials said.