"Mr. Gorbachev... tear down this Wall!"
Iconic words by the late U.S. President Ronald Reagan. Click here to watch that speech.
Today, world leaders gather to mark the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel grew up in East Germany. This morning she retraced the same steps she took the night the Wall came down 20 years ago -- across the first bridge that opened.
She calls it a day of celebration. There are a number of festivities planned for tonight. But during the day today, it's been a time of reflection. And questions about whether the divide -- in an economic and quality of life sense -- has really been removed between East and West Germany.
Scroll down and listen to our latest cast for Tom Parry's report from Berlin...
And, check out CBC's Web special on the Berlin Wall. There's an interactive Wall, timeline, video and features on the real people affected.
The New York Times has a good slideshow of today's events. Check it out here.
Nicole Ireland, Producer, World Report
- PHOTOS California blaze dubbed Erskine wildfire kills 2, destroys 150 homes
- A massive wildfire burning out of control in the foothills of central California has left at least 150 homes in ruins and damaged another 75, officials said on Saturday, warning that more residents may be forced to flee the advancing flames.
- CBC IN COLOMBIA 'I'm filled with joy': Colombians celebrate as dream of peace comes step closer to reality
- Hundreds of people crowd the steps of Museo de Antioquia, Medellín's largest museum. From a distance, they're loud and holding white flags high in the air. But move closer and you see their pure joy. Drums rage. People embrace. A conga line even starts up. They're convinced Colombia's 52-year war is about to end.
- Hotel attack in Somali capital leaves at least 14 dead
- At least 14 people were killed when gunmen stormed a hotel in Somalia's capital and took an unknown number of hotel guests hostage, police and medical workers said Saturday, before security forces hunted down the attackers and ended an hours-long assault.
- Analysis Brexit vote a sign U.K. 'longing for a time and place that never was' video
- The Leave campaign deliberately stirred up anti-immigration anxieties to win the Brexit vote, researchers say. That could spell trouble for other countries considering parting ways with the postwar order in Europe.
- Photos A stunning Brexit, midnight sun baseball and LeBron James: The week in pictures
- From the British exit referendum to the end of Cleveland's championship drought and the longest day of the year, here's the week in pictures for June 18-24.