Fashion Week in Pakistan
We've reported a lot on the devastating violence in Pakistan in recent weeks. Suicide attacks are rampant, and the Pakistani army is in the midst of a major onslaught to root out insurgents in the country's border region with Afghanistan.
That means security fears are always top of mind during any major event. But that didn't stop Pakistan's first-ever Fashion Week in Karachi. The four-day event was postponed twice -- but finally got going last week and wrapped up this weekend.
Organizers say security was tight - but they wanted to show the world that Pakistan is about more than violence. Check out the coverage on Reuters and in the Telegraph .
And to hear the mood as the models worked the catwalk, listen to World Report throughout the morning -- or scroll down to download our latest show.
Nicole Ireland, Producer, World Report
- CBC in Japan A survivor's harrowing account of Nagasaki bombing audio
- It was a hot, quiet morning on Aug. 9, 1945, and Shizuko Nagae had just told her 22-month-old daughter to come inside when there was a loud blast. "The window panes, shoji paper screens, lattice doors and clay walls had all disintegrated into pieces. I had no idea what had happened," Nagae told her daughter years later when recounting the atomic bombing of her city, Nagasaki. Read Nagae's full, harrowing account.
- Barack Obama makes historic visit to Hiroshima memorial video
- Barack Obama on Friday became the first sitting U.S. president to visit the site of the world's first atomic bomb attack, bringing global attention both to survivors and to his unfulfilled vision of a world without nuclear weapons.
- Updated No new signal detected from missing EgyptAir jet, source says, contradicting earlier report
- No new radio signal has been received from the missing EgyptAir plane since it crashed in the Mediterranean last week, sources close to the investigation now say, contradicting earlier reports that investigators had picked up the airliner's locator beacons.
- Brazil police seek more than 30 suspects in Rio gang rape
- Brazilian police say they are hunting for more than 30 men suspected of participating in the gang rape of a 16-year-old over the weekend.
- Mars is coming out of an ice age, study shows
- An analysis of radar images that peered inside the polar ice caps of Mars shows that Earth's neighbour is coming out of an ice age.