Rain Ends Tonight for a Friday Break..Before Pineapple Express Weekend...Mar 6th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- The latest storm system has already brought at least 20-30 mm to Vancouver over the past 18 hours. Rounds of rain will continue through to this evening for another 5-10 mm
- Winds will remain gusty today and have been up around 40 km/h for much of the morning..
- Rain will begin to taper overnight tonight for a mainly dry Friday. As we sit between systems for one day, we may even get some sunshine across the south coast, but have to keep the risk of a few lingering showers in there as well. But this is the calm before the storm(s)
- Rain will return nice and early Saturday as the jet stream taps into sub-tropical moisture for the weekend. Yes this is a pineapple express set-up with mild temps and rising snow levels along with steady rain (+80 mm for Vancouver). A special weather statement is already in place for the south coast.
A look at NOAA's Saturday's forecast for 'atmospheric river' detection. Basically the bright 'plumes' stretching from the Hawaiian Islands to our south coast indicate a Pineapple Express set-up. IE A hose of warm temps & lots of rain directed right at us.
- Lingering showers will be the story on Monday but looks like we dry out Tuesday onward at this point
- Avalanche danger high for much of southern BC
Feeling Like Spring For Some This Weekend
- After we get through the light snow across the Prairies today..temps are on the climb. Southern AB could be getting into the double digits by the weekend! And at least plus-side of zero for SK & MB by early next week
- Meanwhile Southern ON & QC will see plus temps this weekend as well (although looming winter storm may spoil things by early next week. Too early to say with certainty but big snowstorm for Toronto not entirely out of the question next week!)
Follow @CBCWeather for the latest national weather updates
Deadly Pile-up on the QE2 in Calgary
- Falling snow has been creating adverse driving conditions across central AB today with snowfall warnings in place for 10-15 cm
Follow @CBCWeather for the latest on national weather conditions
13 Year Old Schoolboy Creates Nuclear Fusion in Class
- Young Jamie set about trying to create nuclear fusion by consulting an open source website after finding out 14 was the age to beat for youngest to create Fusion
- He started the work in October, with permission from his school, in an under-used school science laboratory, recreating a process known as 'inertial electrostatic confinement' which dates back to the 1960s.