Mainly Dry Tuesday..Rain Tonight..Avalanche Danger High in Areas...Mar 18th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- Lower cloud along with a few spits and spots were the morning weather stories today thanks to a westerly flow keeping the air mass fairly moist
- The risk for a brief and isolated shower will continue through the afternoon but the next system will hold off with the soaking rain until late this evening
- Looks like the cold front of an approaching low will bring steadier rain after the 10 pm hour to Vancouver
- Rain will continue Wednesday morning before clearing out to sunshine by tomorrow afternoon
- This system will also bring in a shot of fresh 10-20 cm f snow to the local mountains tonight. Avalanche danger remains at high to considerable for many areas
- A ridge of high pressure will continue to build from Wednesday afternoon through to Friday for sunny skies and temperatures just a touch below seasonal (9-10 afternoon highs)
- At this point looks like the next system will bring some Saturday showers, before clearing back out on Sunday
Wintry System for Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal Tonight
- 2 full days before the official start to Spring and the volatile month of March is living up to it's name: A low pressure system is set to arrive on Ontario overnight tonight.
- A special weather statement is in place for most of southern Ontario & southern Quebec for the messy system. A wide swath of freezing rain and ice pellets will be the real concern tomorrow morning for the Golden Horseshoe and parts of the GTA. The morning commute could be a tricky one.
- Ice will change-over to rain by tomorrow afternoon for most.
- However a wintry mix of precipitation with snow, ice pellets and freezing rain is possible for areas to the north including Ottawa & Montreal - snowfall accumulations up to 10 cm by the end of Wednesday can be expected.
Risk of freezing rain & ice pellets for the GTA tomorrow morning. Follow @CBCWeather & @Ross_Hull for the latest
Primordial gravitational wave discovery heralds 'whole new era' in physics
- Scientists have detected "primordial gravitational waves" - the first tremors of the big bang. A total break-through..
- The minuscule ripples in space-time are the last prediction of Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity to be verified. Until now, there has only been circumstantial evidence of their existence. The discovery also provides a deep connection between general relativity and quantum mechanics, another central pillar of physics. We are basically getting close to created the sought after 'theory of everything
- The detection, which has yet to be published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, was announced on Monday