Windy & Blue Today, Chance of Shower Later, Nice Friday, Weekend Snow?...Feb 20th
Download Flash Player to view this content.
- I imagine I am not the only Canadian running behind today- but what a game!!! Well done ladies in the curling & the hockey. So much fun (and stressful) to watch
- Winds have been gusting up to 55 km/h today from the west behind last night's system that brought another 10-20 cm for the mountains and even a few cms for higher elevations of Vancouver last night
- Winds will remain gusty in mainly blue skies today but there is a slight chance of a late afternoon showers for the lower mainland
- Drying trend will continues tomorrow but so will the gusty winds. Coming in from the NW it will feel cooler tomorrow with highs to only 5 or 6
- OK now the weekend.. it's been a tough forecast for the past couple days with all sorts of different options showing up. For now, it looks like an upper level trough swings through (sort of the bottom end of an area of low pressure, so not a full-on storm)
- However, it looks like we may see some kind of precip for Saturday as it swings through and with cold enough air in place from the NW winds, it could fall as snow for parts of Vancouver
- Either way Sat may start out with some sun but it's looking like we will get some precip for Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning..and some of that just may fall as snow for Vancouver. I'll take a closer look before this evenings show but let's wait until tomorrow before raising the white flag
- After a warm Thursday in Sochi with lots of 'golden' sunshine..showers & cloud will return for Friday
- Rain & mountain snow will likely start for our late night 10 pm PT so maybe watch for that in the live shots tonight
- Temps in the higher elevations of the mountain venues will stay below zero over the next 24 hours
- Clearing back out for Saturday
Follow @CBCOlympics & @CBCWeather for the latest
Thunderstorms to Southern Ontario Tonight...
- A major storm system is pushing into Toronto this afternoon bringing first heavy snow, before heavy rain and the risk for significant flooding.
- Rainfall warnings are in place for most of southern Ontario for 25-50 mm tonight into Friday..along with mild temps (8 degrees for TO tomorrow am!) and the risk for thunderstorms!!
- Rain will reach Ottawa by tomorrow morning but will likely begin as freezing rain for several hours..could be a treacherous commute tomorrow am
- Meanwhile this is a heavy snow story for northern Ontario the heavy snow and winds in northern Ontario where 15-25 cm is falling
- A general provincial wide flood watch is in place for today & tomorrow although the flooding will likely be localized to specific areas: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/
..And a Mess for All of Eastern Canada Tomorrow
- Pretty much all of the eastern half of Canada is in some kind of weather watch, warnings or special weather statement as the large storm system looks to track eastward
- At this point looks like a right mixed bag mess for NB and soaking rain for NS..
Erosion swallowing up PEI at rate of 28 cm a year
- A new tool created by scientists from both PEI and SFU illustrates how storm surges, rising seas and the loss of winter ice will erode the shore over 30-year increments from 2010 to 2100.
- An estimated $150-million in real estate is in danger of disappearing over the next 90 years, along with several of the island's prized golf courses and a wind turbine.
com/news/national/smallest- province-getting-smaller/ article16988070/#dashboard/ follows/