Arctic Air & Sunshine & No Snow All Week...Feb 4th
- With the wind chill YVR felt like -11 this morning and there is lots more cold where that came from in the week ahead
- An arctic ridge will remain anchored over northern BC through to next weekend, spinning down arctic air from the NE, through the valleys of BC, and into the south coast
- The northern interior will get the coldest air with 80 km/h winds leading to -20 wind chills this week: northern & central coastal sections under the Arctic Outflow warning
- Temperatures for the south coast won't quite be as cold but winds channeling through the Fraser Valley & Howe Sound will keep us just below zero through the sunny afternoons and well below the freezing mark through the overnights. Minus double digit wind chills will continue in the morning hours especially with gusty winds from the east
- This weather pattern doesn't look to break down until Sunday-Monday next week, but that break-down should come with some good mountain snow.
- Also of note: the 15 cm in just a few hours in Nainamo yesterday: thanks to those same cold outflow winds pushing across the warmer strait. The resulting snow squall bands (just like the Great Lakes!) formed as easterly flow converged into the Vancouver Islands mountains. Very localized. Not out of the question to see more flurries on the east side of Van Isl this week with a similar set-up persisting. Great insight from Environment Canada as always.
MORE Snow for Southern Ontario Tonight
- Yet another winter storm is tracking into southern Ontario tonight that will make for a very messy Wednesday morning commute
- Snowfall warnings & special weather statements are in place for parts of southern Ontario for up to 25 cm of snow, with the GTA getting between 10-20 cm depending on location.
- The snow will start this evening, falling heavily at times late tonight and Wednesday morning thanks to lake enhancement off of Lake Ontario. Reduced visibility will be a concern as well
First look today at the Canadian model snow forecast. Follow @CBCWeather for latest.
But Worst of the Snow for the Eastern US
- Winter storm warnings are in effect from Kansas all the way through to Maine with the same system hitting southern Ontario
- People have barely had time to dig out from two prior storms in the Midwest and the Monday storm in the Northeast...30 cm more starting today
- At least 100 million people will be affected over the next 24 hours with snow and/or ice.
Atlantic Canada Next in Line
- Snowfall warnings already in place for all of Nova Scotia for 15-25 cm with the same storm starting tomorrow afternoon
- Newfoundland under the watch for snow starting tomorrow night
Dry, Mild Weather In Store for Opening Ceremony of Sochi Games
- The opening ceremonies of the XXII Winter Games at Sochi, Russia, should not be hampered by adverse weather conditions.
- Dry weather is forecast as the ceremony commence Friday eve with temps around 7 degrees in Sochi